Petrol leak.

sloperlad

The 38 has developed a feul leak  at the top of he tank and I can only assume at the sender unit entry. As there is a dribble down the vertical face of the feul tank and across the bottom. This has come apparent when I filled up. Have I over filled and blocked a breather hose as  the smell of feul disappears as the gauge drops.

Regards

John

• Like 1

I have a step-by-step tank removal process on my 1937 blog.  I'm sure most of it will translate to the '38.  Maybe it'll help you just get the steps in order:

Step - By - Step Gas Tank / Sending Unit Removal:

With the car still on the ground:

1.  Release the bayonet base wire (sending unit wire) in the trunk and pushed the wire through the hole and rest it on top of the tank

2. Remove the gas filler neck and rubber fender grommet.

(Originally you would unscrew the "extension" that protrudes out of the fender from the tank filler pipe.  My car's filler pipe was cut and the previous owner simply used a heavy duty hose and clamps to attach the two.)

3. Remove completely the fill pipe support clamp from the chassis and the fill pipe and slide it off.

The rest is done with the car raised at least a foot:

4. Jack the car up at least a foot, and securely set jack stands under the frame by the rear running board support irons.  Chock the front wheels.

5. Drain the tank into a suitable container by removing the 9/16" plug from the bottom of the tank.

6. Once you have it mostly drained, replace the 9/16" plug as gas will spill out when you twist and turn to drop it free.
7. Disconnect the fuel supply line from the front of the tank.  Need a 9/16" and a 1/2"  flare wrench

8. Remove the gas tank support straps using a 9/16" deep socket

9. Tank is now loose and ready to drop (If it has't already!)  By pushing the drivers side up and forward you can carefully turn the tank and it will come down.

10. There may be a dedicated ground wire attached to the base of the sending unit.  If not, you may consider adding one before re-installation.

11. Remove the sender wire from the sending unit.  It's a good time to check the end is soldered tight and the insulation/shrink wrap is good.

12. Sending unit is affixed with 5 machine screws and a gasket.

Here are the above steps with photos:   (Just touch the arrow in the upper right corner)

• Like 2

And while you have the tank out, I highly recommend that you have it properly sand blasted down to bare metal on the inside and coated with a modern plastic coating.  One less thing to worry about going forward.

• Like 2