A pleasant suprise.

sloperlad

Been procratinating over what sort of  tyre to put on the 38 whitewall or black, supply and cost made the decision. Here in Australia whitewalls are a kings ransom and my pockets are not very deep at the moment. The tyre shop accquired some MSR bias tyres 16 x 6 with tubes for $175 each. Bargin.  Had the Buick up to the sound barrier at 55mph  tyres quiet, comfortable and gripped well. 27 psi pressure.

Not flash or glamerous but does the job. One happy chappy. 

• Like 3

That is a nice surprise, I had one too. When I was looking to buy another vintage car I walked away from a few that needed new tires all around and we couldn't come to a deal knowing that it was going to cost me between $1,500 and $2,000 to put four new tires and tubes on the car. When I purchased my 38 Buick about a month ago I knew the tires were relatively new but not how new until I got it home. The Tires were only 3 years old and I was even more happily surprised when I realized that they were 50R16 Coker classic radials with the 3-in white wall and all balanced. Then I opened the trunk and there was a brand new tire never touched the ground all balanced with a beauty ring, now that was a real pleasant surprise.

original_dcb36be0-bde0-4ebf-9ae6-00861f3b0936_20211204_090634.jpg

• Like 4

My '38 Century came with new tires (7.00 x 15) but they are awful...  They are 5-ply Nylon cord truck tires and they ride like truck tires - particularly when they're cold.  I simply can't imagine driving the car next Spring with these tires.  I'm considering bias-ply Cokers, but am curious what you think about the radials that you have...

Check your date codes on anything Coker sells you.  They sold me two ‘new’ tires that were in fact 7 years old based on the date code.  After I complained, they sent me out two new ones that were less than a year old. They paid for the shipping both ways too.  

Squeaky tire, gets the new rubber.  Or something like that. 

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

My '38 Century came with new tires (7.00 x 15) but they are awful...  They are 5-ply Nylon cord truck tires and they ride like truck tires - particularly when they're cold.  I simply can't imagine driving the car next Spring with these tires.  I'm considering bias-ply Cokers, but am curious what you think about the radials that you have...

I have driven other old cars with regular bias ply tires and the cars were all over the road, these radials make a lot of difference, this card drives and rides like a Buick I Could say a Cadillac I guess. I first experienced this back in the '70s when radials  were just becoming popular, I changed out the bias ply tires on my Volkswagen bug and put radials on it, oh my gosh what a difference never looked back always used radials.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I replaced the Coker tubeless bias ply white wall tires on my 1951 Buick just a few short years ago and the difference was night and day.  The steering, handling, and overall driving experience was greatly improved with the new wide white wall tubeless radial tires from American Classic Tires.  I am now planning on replacing the existing white wall bias ply JC Penny tires on my 1938 Buick. 

• Like 2