Mohair upholstery cleaning 32 Buick 57S

Bessie32

Looks like the original upholstery back seat is in great condition however the front appears to either be stained or could be the fabric failing, trying to determine the best way to attempt to clean the upholstery without further damaging the fabric.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Stained old wool is difficult to clean.

Best advice I can give is get some Woolite, add in water and stir to make suds, using a soft cloth and SUDS ONLY to try to clean, then pat dry with a separate cloth.

Be careful, though, as old broadcloth can be very fragile.

Even at that, I doubt you’ll make much difference.  If you want to save original, cover seat with a blanket or have a heavy slipcover made.  Even then fabric may rip with use.

• Like 2

Thank you, I knew it was going to be a problem back seat is really in great shape but really really dusty I covered them with sheets to take the family for a drive yesterday lol no one wants to sit on that upholstery. I have no idea what I am doing here lol I am a woman my dad passed away and I decided to keep her, she had an exhaust leak and the carburetor had to be rebuilt, she runs really well!! Any ideas as to what to use or NOT to use as far as washing and giving her a good wax? Thank you again for the response!!

32 BUICK 57S TK.jpg

• Like 5

Wow Mark she does!!  My dad has had her I believe since 2007 she took 2nd place in 2009 I believe, did you restore yours?  Shes a beauty!!  Is that trunk box an original I haven't see that before! I would love to restore the inside with the same fabric someone said there is someone in Oregon that orders the original mohair fabric still trying to locate him, do you know anything about the turn signals? Mine either don't work or I haven't figured it out yet, they do not work from the light lever on the center of the steering wheel.

Edited by Bessie32 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Bessie32 said:

Wow Mark she does!!  My dad has had her I believe since 2007 she took 2nd place in 2009 I believe, did you restore yours?  Shes a beauty!!  Is that trunk box an original I haven't see that before!

This car was gifted to me by a friend after he passed.  It had a few stuck valves and was missing the fuel pump when I got it.  It only took a couple of weeks to get it running.  It was repainted & a 1934 engine installed many years ago.  I has the original upholstery with NOS seat covers I found during my friend's estate sale.  It is a great driver and I doubt I will restore it as I am not a show car guy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bessie32 said:

...someone said there is someone in Oregon that orders the original mohair fabric still trying to locate him...

Someone was probably speaking about

SMS Auto Fabrics.  More than anyone else,

they have correct, original fabrics for antique cars.

I don't know specifically about fabrics for 1932 Buicks,

because I haven't had a need for a car that early.

Many people say they are slow in responding to orders,

but I've been happy with what I've received for my later

antique cars.

Here is their contact information.  I think it's best to

telephone them--not e-mail--for a more prompt response:

Address: 350 S Redwood Street, Canby, Oregon 97013

Phone: (503) 263-3535

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Many people say they are slow in responding to orders,

but I've been happy with what I've received for my later

antique cars.

Here is their contact information.  I think it's best to

telephone them--not e-mail--for a more prompt response:

Address: 350 S Redwood Street, Canby, Oregon 97013

Phone: (503) 263-3535

They can be VERY slow to ship. It all depends whether they have your material “in stock”. Well over a year ago I ordered material for a 1957 Buick Special and was told it was “in stock”. I placed the order and they accepted the payment upon receipt. Some 15 months later I received the material. 

Apparently if they do not have it “in stock” or run out prior to filling your order you wait until they have sufficient demand to initiate ordering a new supply plus waiting for the manufacturing cycle. Zero communication in the mean time!

On a more positive side, the quality/match to the original material that I have received from them has always been very good.

• Like 1

All great information thank you very much for that, I am in Santa Barbara, CA and looking for someone that specializes in upholstery work  and I do have a few repairs paint wise the are in front of the running boards on both side I think will need to be repainted. I double that I will ever show her I have already had a couple people ask to get involved but honestly I just love to drive her around town!  So Mark a question for you, there is a little switch right at the bottom of the dash that switches back and forth (left to right)any idea what this switch is for? It is a tiny little lever, it is not the one that opens the flap on the hood. I don't have manual as of yet but looking to try to find one.  g-g-go thats a long time with no communication, my mechanic here is town that has worked on her told me about this someone according to him its about the only place you can get the fabric but some reason he was under the impression they also did the upholstery work?

A few more helpful points:

Bessie, don't feel that your car has to be perfect

to take it to car shows!  People appreciate cars

that aren't perfect;  and items that are original to its

1932 manufacture, such as the upholstery, are especially

appreciated, even if they are very worn.  People often

would rather see the details from Buick's 1932 factory

than the work of Joe's Upholstery shop of 2021!

And anything you do, please do correctly--meaning,

replace something with exactly the same feature, or

fabric, that was there originally.  Anything incorrect

would probably detract from the value of your car.

And in some locations, ANY car of that age is

not often seen at shows.  You'd be likely to have many

appreciative onlookers asking questions.

• Like 3

Thank you!!! I do know to restore to original and I really am torn as to keep the original fabric or replace it, for now I am going to look for some nice seat covers!!  The shop that worked on her (because lol I am a woman and am clueless how to fix these cars)  told me to just leave her alone for now and said he literally had people stopping all day long wanting to know what/where did that car come from????!!!!  What you said is exactly what he told me no one around here has ever seen anything quite like her! So thank you for the helpful tips and I do greatly appreciate all the feedback from all of you! She is so fun to drive as people both young and old admire her for what she is. I agree with  you sometimes the old original is better than the restored new!  She was my dad's show car back in 2009, she took 2nd a few times  I do need to get some wax on her I believe I read that liquid wax is the best. My boys both in their late 30's love this car, they just love cruising around town in her. My grandson is 12 he actually named her Bessie, I LOVE THIS CAR :)

• Like 5