Identify Stromberg carburetor application

Owen_Dyneto

Stromberg produced 117 different type EE-22 carburetors, many were for trucks.

I have never seen a list sorted by venturii size.

P-17922 is not a carburetor number rather a number for a casting "blank" (prior to machining).

The first EE-22 was produced for the 1933 model year; however, all 1933 EE-22's that I have worked on actually had EE-2 cast on the bowl (they were NOT EE-2's). In 1934, the die was modified to reflect EE-22.

Jon.

• Like 1

Im not too familiar with the EE-22, but like most Stromberg carbs........they are NOT ALL THE SAME, and don’t just bolt on and run.......unless you want to ruin your engine. Each individual car had a calibrated unit installed with lots more special levers, linkages, and sometimes air horns, brackets, chokes, ect. It’s usually much cheaper to buy the exact correct individual application carburetor you need because it’s fifty times harder to make something else fit and perform correctly than most people think.

Ed, thanks for chiming in - I'm quite familiar with your cautions and comments and do have the correct and properly functioning EE-22 on my '34 Packard.   But these carbs are extremely hard to find, plus their castings aren't particularly robust.  Thus I bought the one in question purely as a source of whatever parts it might have in common with my correct one and was trying to establish it's original application.

• Like 2

My buddy has a few kicking around, he is out west till December. PM ME a photo and application including series, probably can help you out. We buy bulk 30’s Stromberg and don’t have any use for EE-22’s on our Pierce Arrows. We usually just dump them at Hershey be we stopped vending a few years ago, so we have some accumulated on a shelf. Here are the UUR2-2 & UUR2’s and a few EE-3’s.

Im always looking for 1 3/8 EE-3’s.

5DE9D6C1-DA1D-4BB0-95E3-80BC614C2E1F.png

16CC24FA-55D1-45F8-9992-0B05A996617F.png

213EB9AA-1329-41ED-A094-DE1636BFDC76.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

The EE-22 with a manual choke was used on V12 Lincolns. The 414 cubic inch versions used a 1-7/16" venturi but it's possible that the earlier V8s and/or 382 cubic inch V12 could have used the 1-3/32" venturi. I don't have that information, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Owen_Dyneto said:

Another question if I may, is the bowl casting interchangeable with the one on my 1934 Packard Eight (1100)?

Insufficient information to state exactly, but probably not. Which is not to say lots of ebay folks wouldn't try it!

As Matt stated, the Lincolns were manual choke, as were most of the truck applications.

The Lincoln 382 used 1 3/32 venturii. Stromberg literature shows the 414 using 1 3/16 venturii.

Would have to positively identify what you have, then pull the prints for both to be certain.

The bowls are fragile. Remember ALWAYS use two wrenches when removing/attaching the fuel line to the carburetor. The revised bowls (with EE-22 casting rather than EE-2) are much less fragile, but still fragile.

Jon.