Top Clamps for 1922 Reo T6

oldford

I recently purchased a nicely restored 1922 Reo T6 7 passenger touring car that is missing its top rest/clamps that support the top when it is lowered. The rear of the body, just under the gypsy curtain has the holes to mount the clamps, but the clamps are missing. If anyone has a set of clamps installed on their car, could you photograph the parts and take some measurements for me. There are some pairs on ebay that may work...

Thanks in advance...

Frank

s-l1600.jpg

The hole in the body is not tapered. I think the rod should be a shoulder bolt with a ridge to act as a stop. There is a threaded portion to the inside that accepts a nut and a washer. A 4 bow clamp would then attach to the shoulder bolt.

Frank

I just saw your post and was headed out to the shop this morning to suspend my bulldog in a sling with my engine hoist to clip his toenails (I know that's weird, but it's safer for both of us when he has no traction), so here are some pics of my 1918 touring car brackets.  I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as your later T6, but there is a threaded shoulder bolt that holds the clamp mechanism. I can't tell if the shoulder bolt threads into a captured nut, or if it's a threaded bracket on the inside.  The upholstery is too tight to see. Either way, it's firmly held and doesn't move.   I hope these pictures help.  I can get more pics with dimensions if you think it's a similar setup.

Craig

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5408.JPG

Craig, thanks for the photos... They look exactly like what I expected to see, since it appears to be just like my 22. I found a set on ebay that look exactly like yours, right down to the position of the mounting pin on the clamp. I have a grainy photo from a T6 service bulletin where the pin is high on the clamp. I suspect the only difference is where the top would be in relation to the body when it is folded. Is your mounting hardware different from right side to left side of the car?

Frank

Frank,

Yes, there are left and right rest brackets. Here are a couple of photos with a tape for reference. The casting numbers are 332L and 332R. The "R" rest was mounted on the driver's side and the "L" on the passenger side. At first, I assumed they were mounted on the wrong side, but they won't work the other way around. I was trained in the 70's that left and right were always referenced from the drivers seat facing forward, but they obviously had different ideas in 1918.  I don't know if this will help, but my 1918 manual has the studs listed as P/N 1TE73, and the clamps are P/N 1TE81-LH  and 1TE82-RH. The studs have 5/8-11 threads.

Craig

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

IMG_5414 (1).JPG