Old movie - Charlie Chase movie "Rattling Romeo" from 1939

Dave Henderson

I remembered a scene that has stuck in my mind from a movie I saw as a youngster in the pre WWII era.  It was a comedy, the scene was of a guy holding a bumper from his "bargain" used car which proceeded to fall apart.  After becoming curious about it I did some google searching and have come to the conclusion that it was the Charlie Chase movie "Rattling Romeo" from 1939.  The car was an early '30's cabriolet, Chrysler maybe, I have just a vague recollection of it and can't find a front view.  Are there any old movie buffs in the crowd who could shed more light on this??   

That sounds familiar, I may have seen it in the late '40s when admission to the State theater was 12 cents if you were under twelve years old.

I also think the plot was re-treaded more than once, unsuspecting and inept hero buys a bargain car at a once in a lifetime price and it proceeds to fall apart with much drama.  Was there a 'Life of Riley' episode? Maybe  an 'Ozzie and Harriet' plot as well?

Maybe a real expert will come along and help us out.

34 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

I remembered a scene that has stuck in my mind from a movie I saw as a youngster in the pre WWII era.  It was a comedy, the scene was of a guy holding a bumper from his "bargain" used car which proceeded to fall apart.  After becoming curious about it I did some google searching and have come to the conclusion that it was the Charlie Chase movie "Rattling Romeo" from 1939.  The car was an early '30's cabriolet, Chrysler maybe, I have just a vague recollection of it and can't find a front view.  Are there any old movie buffs in the crowd who could shed more light on this??   

1932 Studebaker.

Studebaker from movie.jpg

• Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Old movie - Charlie Chase movie "Rattling Romeo" from 1939