1929 Cadillac oil filter

brasscarguy2

I couldn't find any modern replacement for the ancient sealed filter. 

And any NOS example could not be trusted to not disintegrate during use. 

For my car I used https://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/oiling-system/oil-filter-canister-1931-35-s-50-of-315/ 

It physically fits in the stock location but I did have to get one or two fittings from Grainger. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

I couldn't find any modern replacement for the ancient sealed filter. 

And any NOS example could not be trusted to not disintegrate during use. 

For my car I used https://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/oiling-system/oil-filter-canister-1931-35-s-50-of-315/ 

It physically fits in the stock location but I did have to get one or two fittings from Grainer. 

I did exactly the same thing with the exact same filter on my '29.

IMG_0872.jpg.845989764e483198b6d37cbb2a60f692.jpg  IMG_0869.jpg.e4831502593c7fdde3b549c60209f852.jpg

Before and after the filter change, my oil pressure was spot-on the 12 psi at idle indicated in the manual. HOWEVER, there's a T-fitting screwed into the crankcase that feeds both the gauge and the oil filter--DO NOT CHANGE IT. Keep the original fitting. I thought I was being smart and using a new fitting and lost almost all my oil pressure. LEAVE IT ALONE.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Keep the original fitting. I thought I was being smart and using a new fitting and lost almost all my oil pressure. LEAVE IT ALONE.

OK, you got me -- what was different about the original tee...?

27 minutes ago, EmTee said:

OK, you got me -- what was different about the original tee...?

Well, nothing on visual inspection, but there must be some reduced-sized orifice inside that cuts down flow to the filter. Since it's a partial flow filter, oil was probably flowing to the filter faster and more easily than it should have, resulting in a lower reading at the gauge (which is fed from the other side of this T). I'm not sure it flows enough to hurt oil pressure inside the engine, but the gauge instantly went to reading 0. Changing back to the original fitting put things right again.

• Thanks 1