Plymouth locking hubcap 1932?

mikewest

34 Plymouth.  Not 35 or 36 because those have the stripe closer to the center.  Also, if you swing the lock door open, you will probably find an 'Omega' Greek letter stamped on the lock, which is probably one of Omega's 'bandit proof' bent keys that were featured by Plymouth in 34.  Only thing I am unsure about is whether the cap is for wire or artillery wheels, the measurement of the opening on the back is different for those two.  These locking caps were really only meant for the sidemount or rear spare covers.  SMB

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, Scott Bonesteel said:

34 Plymouth.  Not 35 or 36 because those have the stripe closer to the center.  Also, if you swing the lock door open, you will probably find an 'Omega' Greek letter stamped on the lock, which is probably one of Omega's 'bandit proof' bent keys that were featured by Plymouth in 34.  Only thing I am unsure about is whether the cap is for wire or artillery wheels, the measurement of the opening on the back is different for those two.  These locking caps were really only meant for the sidemount or rear spare covers.  SMB

Any example of what one of these "bandit proof' bent keys look like?

These are the Omega keys made by Yale, haven't seen them used post-1934.  The letter designation I believe is for the keyway slots and corresponded to Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto or Chrysler, although I cannot recall which one applies to which.  Show up fairly frequently on ebay, watch for the best prices, can usually be had for a few bucks but sometimes the asking prices are crazy.  They fit the ignition, door locks, trunk and rumble lids.  My 34 DRXX coupe even has a wheel lug lock that is keyed alike to the ignition, etc.

$_57.jpg

download (3).jpg

images (2).jpg