Why did the HCCA pick 1915 as the cut off year?

29 Chandler

Even the cheapest , least desirable HCCA car has a huge price obstacle. An enclosed trailer, at least $8,500.00 Canadian and probably closer to 12 G's in the real world. Plus a truck capable of towing it, these days what ? $35,000.00- to who knows, $85,000.00 ? Plus the space to store the trailer and truck in between events. Where I am { Suburban Canada } a shack on a small lot is around $ 1,000,000.00. Makes almost any hobby car a non workable situation , never mind one with significant space demands. Shop, truck, trailer. Even if you already own the house , you need to pony up $100,000.00 - $150,000.00 before you turn a wheel.  Hobby car , shop , truck , trailer. And that's a  " cheap " car.

It makes a $10,000 0r $12 ,000 HCCA car an extremely expensive proposition compared to a mid 1930's or newer car that can be driven to and from an event.

I love the brass cars as much as anyone, but after 35 years of beating my head against the cost wall it is beginning to sink home that I am probably never going to get there.

A running, driving Brass car that is, my bitsa project cars will be with me until the end. And my leaky , lean to shed. Have you seen the price of wood and concrete lately ? Insane.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Wherever you are, whatever the group, whoever the individual you encounter, you are an ambassador for the old car hobby.   There are no second chances for a first impression.   Every dismissive snub, every snobbish response discourages another possibly enthusiastic person, young or not, from engaging in the hobby.  Even the smallest outreach of friendliness and sharing of interest can do this hobby a world of good.  Please keep this in mind when out and about in the public.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Even the cheapest , least desirable HCCA car has a huge price obstacle. An enclosed trailer, at least $8,500.00 Canadian and probably closer to 12 G's in the real world. Plus a truck capable of towing it, these days what ? $35,000.00- to who knows, $85,000.00 ? Plus the space to store the trailer and truck in between events. Where I am { Suburban Canada } a shack on a small lot is around $ 1,000,000.00. Makes almost any hobby car a non workable situation , never mind one with significant space demands. Shop, truck, trailer. Even if you already own the house , you need to pony up $100,000.00 - $150,000.00 before you turn a wheel.  Hobby car , shop , truck , trailer. And that's a  " cheap " car.

It makes a $10,000 0r $12 ,000 HCCA car an extremely expensive proposition compared to a mid 1930's or newer car that can be driven to and from an event.

I love the brass cars as much as anyone, but after 35 years of beating my head against the cost wall it is beginning to sink home that I am probably never going to get there.

A running, driving Brass car that is, my bitsa project cars will be with me until the end. And my leaky , lean to shed. Have you seen the price of wood and concrete lately ? Insane.

We are in pretty much the same boat. I don't have a trailer or a truck to pull it. My car, when I get it roadworthy, will probably only see the light of day in my immediate area. I once drove my 1910 REO from RI to a meet on Long Island - a real adventure and one I'd readily undertake again but the notion of trailering a car half way across the country to a national event is off the table...

Also, I think the frequently voiced argument that goes something like "they were only 20 years old in 1935" is specious. The pace of technological advance has slowed dramatically. Yes, there have been advances but these are almost all in how something is done, not whether it can be done. A 30 or 40 year old vehicle is perfectly usable today if you are willing to undertake the maintenance and do without the "luxury" do-dads that seem so important to so many today. My own "everyday" truck is more than 30 years old. That was not the case in the late 30s or even the 50s...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have a truck and trailer and am fortunately able to park everything at my property.  A few years ago I bought a 1939 Buick sedan with the idea of driving long distance or even cross country and leaving the brass cars at home.  After driving the '39 up to 100 miles on quiet two lane roads a few times and comparing it to driving my wife's new Ford Fusion I leave the '39 home now drive the Ford and prefer the truck and trailer.

When I am rambling in my '13 Buick, at 30 MPH, I feel great and modern traffic gives me a wide berth.  My '39 makes me nervous, I think, other motorists expect me to accelerate, turn and brake like their new cars and frankly it does not.

I have driven the brass era car a 100 miles and have a 1000 smiles.  Everyone loves the early cars, people point and wave, take pictures, perhaps they are pointing and laughing.  I never tire in reciting the old joke "just two more payments."

Back to the original posters question.  An early member of the HCCA often told the story of petty jealousies of two ladies, one with a pre '16 and the other with something slightly newer, to shun the newer car owner the first lady managed to get the date set to exclude her rival.  I never believed the story, but hey, it's as good a reason as any.

Regards, Gary

• Like 6