Wheel clips and Poverty Caps

Bulldog Car Guy

Sorry I have so many questions. The 53 Buick I bought came with full wheel hubcaps that I don’t care for. However, the wheels have the slots for clips for poverty caps (no clips were present). So I found some cool poverty caps on eBay that the seller said would fit a 53 and bought some clips from Bob’s. 

However they didn’t work. Then, the seller of the hubcaps said I had “motor wheel” wheels and needed those clips. So I found what another seller said were motor wheel clips. 

However, they don’t seem to work either. 

Thoughts?

6CFA7006-B824-4966-B171-4BCA33A2E96D.jpeg

CD00757F-20FF-48AB-A644-085B19CCFE66.jpeg

51B98FE1-30A6-41CC-A17B-289E2E53B8EE.jpeg

On 9/19/2021 at 10:38 AM, Bulldog Car Guy said:

Sorry I have so many questions. The 53 Buick I bought came with full wheel hubcaps that I don’t care for. However, the wheels have the slots for clips for poverty caps (no clips were present). So I found some cool poverty caps on eBay that the seller said would fit a 53 and bought some clips from Bob’s. wheel covers were an option on 1953 Buick Supers and that's

However they didn’t work. Then, the seller of the hubcaps said I had “motor wheel” wheels and needed those clips. So I found what another seller said were motor wheel clips.  However, they don’t seem to work either . . .

FWIW:

-  Technically as Buick called them, there is no such thing as a full wheel hubcap. It's either a hubcap or a wheel cover.

-  Kelsey-Hayes and Motor Wheel Corporation were the two suppliers for Buick steel wheels in 1953. Kelsey-Hayes also manufactured the carbon-steel 40-spoke chrome-plated wire wheels that were standard equipment on 1953-1954 Buick Skylarks.

-  Each brand should have their name or logo stamped somewhere on the wheel along with the wheel rim's profile letter for I.D. purposes, typically found stamped in the inner drop-center near the inner tube's air-valve hole. The tire needs to be off the steel wheel to read the info.  It's been a long time since I saw a Motor Wheel steel wheel but I want to say that their "M over W" logo as pictured below was stamped in the wheel.

-  If your steel wheels are OEM to the car, the reason why there are no riveted clips on your wheels for hubcaps is because wheel covers were an option on 1953 Buick Specials and Supers.

-  Motor Wheel lists their 40004 wheel as a 6"-wide wheel for 1953 and other years. That number might be stamped somewhere on the wheel also.

QUESTIONS:

-  Have you looked to see which brand of wheel you have?

-  What are you coming up with when you compare the hubcap's backside diameter where they would attach to the steel wheel/clip and the outer diameter of the five installed-clips ("D" dimension in pic below)? 

998790291_1-MotorWheelcatalogdetail.jpg.d8e6039a6fe2f3e6fcd56b89bbed6f70.jpg

Someone needs to educate me what year the script B U I C K hubcap was first used and if any 1950's hubcaps were installed over the nubbins ("E" dimension) — like Motor Wheel Corporation calls them in the above pic. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of information here guys, thanks! Checking to see if you were able to get those wheel covers mounted to your '53 wheels Bulldog?

I'm eyeing up a set of '42 Wheel covers and would like to put them on a '56. Not shy to mount clips myself but if they won't work I'm planning to pass on the deal.