Auburn

JACK M

This is an interesting model.  In 1925 there was the 6-43 and the 6-66, which carried on into 1926 and 1927.  The 6-43 was on a shorter wheelbase with the older squared-off body style and a Continental engine. The 6-66 had a Lycoming engine and the more modern body style.

This car looks like a 6-66 but it has the Continental engine.  Also interesting is the flat one-piece windshield.  All the Auburns of this body style that I've seen have a two piece open-out windshield.   Perhaps this is an early 6-66 with some transition styling? 

It would be interesting to know its model number and serial number.

• Like 1

Interesting twist ... the car is a Model 4-44, the four cylinder model!

According to the list published in the ACD magazine in 1968, the 4-44 was introduced in December of 1925 as a 1926 model.  It was only offered for two years.  The serial number on the plate suggests it was #653 of 990 produced for 1926.

So it looks like this car has been upgraded to a 6 cylinder (no surprise as a four would be very underpowered).  It may be a Continental engine but it could have been replaced with something else.  An potential buyer would want to look into this a little further.

According to the Classic Car Database, the 1926 4-44 engine was a Lycoming CF, 3 5/8 x 5 (206 cu in) rated at 42 bhp. 

I'm still puzzled by the windshield / visor on this car.  I haven't been able to find pictures of any other 26-27 Auburns that look like this.  Can someone provide one?

Seller suggests that it is a 1925.

I have sent him a message asking about title.

Agree about worth more if original.

At this point we don't know what the engine is other than it has six cylinders and supposedly runs.

I suspect I will make a run down there and do some investigating.

30 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Nice car. i don't know about that price though considering the condition. it has a piece of pipe for a front bumper.

I'm crushed ;)  That "piece of pipe" is an authentic Auburn front bumper.  The rears are similar.  However, the bumper should be horizontal. 

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Would one expect to see that engine number somewhere on the engine.

If it was the correct engine, yes.  My car has the Lycoming engine so I can't tell you where the number would be on this engine.  I think it may well be a Continental 6.  It has a very similar look.  Maybe this is something the company would do back in the day.

Here's a picture of the Continental 6 in a 1927 6-66.  It's a model 28L, 185 cu in.

1880048471_Auburn6-66.jpg.123fd1a74d9c8273ef908b71c90d8cd9.jpg

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Seller suggests that it is a 1925.

I have sent him a message asking about title.

My Auburn was registered in December of 1926 as a 1926 Model.  However, according to the serial number it is part of the 1927 production.  It's possible the same thing happened here and the car was registered  in late 1925 as a 1925.  The only thing working against this theory is the fact that its serial number is two thirds of the way through the production year.   It seems an unlikely scenario.  Regardless, if the 4-44 was not offered in '25 it's a 1926 model.  I would check the numbers on the title carefully.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

If you wanted a shinier bumper you could get some large diameter thin wall electrical conduit and a tubing bender and make new ones.

My dad made new end caps for those rear bumpers using large frost plugs and some pipe.  I've got the frost plug size in my files.

5 minutes ago, PFindlay said:

IMHO They are one of the nicest looking mid-twenties non-classic designs.  And they really lend themselves to two tone schemes.

I agree.

If I was to get serious about looking for numbers on this car, would there be a serial number on the chassis or somewhere else that should match up?

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I agree.

If I was to get serious about looking for numbers on this car, would there be a serial number on the chassis or somewhere else that should match up?

I don't know the answer to this question.  I'll take a look around just in case it's in an obvious place.

Well I made the trip yesterday afternoon.

This looks to be a very solid and well maintained car.

I could not find any rust thru anywhere.

The down side was the interior, seats were partly missing or were wrong for the car.

Good tires and the brakes looked good as well. It had newer rubber brake lines at the front wheels at least.

These were hydraulic with outside contracting brake bands and they all looked good.

The front had those spools for the shocks however they are missing what ever it takes to hook them to the springs.

Dash was clean and I was told everything was functional.

There may have been very minor surface rust but hard to tell as the guy had smeared it with paste wax a day or two ago as he was taking it out of its storage and brought into town to his restaurant where it would be outside until he sells it. So to protect it from the rain.

He has had it for three years and has not had to do any repairs or work on it.

I did notice some liquid on the ground under the radiator, probably coolant but I didn't talk to him about that.

It is indeed a Continental six cylinder engine and has a tag on the block that I could not read in the shadows.

The seller was using the old line that he has had two other guys that want it but I got first dibs as I called first.

At 12K I walked, a mistake? Maybe, but since I don't know much about the brand I passed.

If these cars are really worth 12 K then I would suggest that you would not be getting burned.

I did not get into comparing numbers as we already know it has the incorrect engine. As I was driving home I thought that I should have done that because if the engine number is that one on the title it will not match. If they serial number is on the title all should be OK.

Fun stuff alright.

• Like 1

The hydraulic brakes would have been a conversion.  Auburn went hydraulic in 1928.  You'd think that anyone doing a "modern" conversion would convert to internal brakes.  This may be a car that someone has rescued with pieces from one or more others.

1 minute ago, PFindlay said:

The hydraulic brakes would have been a conversion.  Auburn went hydraulic in 1928.  You'd think that anyone doing a "modern" conversion would convert to internal brakes.  This may be a car that someone has rescued with pieces from one or more others.

Well, they did a nice job of it.

The guy told me that it had been parked for a few months and needed a jump start. He had to call his neighbor over to help him find the battery.

A pretty nice car even if we know it is not very original.