problem of charging system - alternator riviera 1966

cquisuila

• 7 months later...
On 9/12/2021 at 2:12 PM, EmTee said:

If alternator output is low, try supplying field voltage directly.  Disconnect the electrical connector on the alternator. Connect a jumper wire from the "F" terminal on the back of the alternator to the BAT terminal.  If the alternator output is normal (~14V) with the jumper in place, then either the voltage regulator or the wiring harness is faulty.  If alternator output is still low, the alternator has an internal fault.

Iam having an issue with my 66. At idle my battery charges at 14.9 but when I turn the headlights on it goes down to 12.6. Is my voltage regulator bad or is it my alternator?

45 minutes ago, Chasander said:

Check belt tension with a gage.

That's a classic 'loose belt' symptom.  Do check that all connections at the alternator and battery are clean and tight.

11 hours ago, telriv said:

Headlights are drawing more amperage than the alternator can supply at an idle.

What happens when you bring the RPM's up???

Does it charge now???

IF it does everything is working as it should.

Tom T.

When i reved it yesterday it got up to 15 volts. But when I checked this morning it would get up to almost 14 

17 hours ago, Chasander said:

1st clean connectors at Voltage regulator and alternator. Check belt tension with a gage. Then recheck. 

I’ll check the connection at the voltage regulator. I did change the belts awhile ago I just set the tension to where it was tight and not a ton of play, but I’ll buy a gauge and check. 

On 7/25/2023 at 3:17 PM, Rafz66riv said:

Iam having an issue with my 66. At idle my battery charges at 14.9 but when I turn the headlights on it goes down to 12.6. Is my voltage regulator bad or is it my alternator?

How old is the battery? Have you had it load tested recently?

Tom Mooney

8 hours ago, Rafz66riv said:

I did change the belts awhile ago I just set the tension to where it was tight and not a ton of play, but I’ll buy a gauge and check. 

New belts will stretch as they 'break-in'.  If you haven't checked since installation, they are probably loose now.

• Like 1

• cquisuila changed the title to problem of charging system - alternator riviera 1966