NORS FRONT MAT '39-40

2carb40

Hey all. Got my new reproduction Jenkins front floor mat in my 39 Spec. Please see photo. Is the firewall pad supposed to overlap the front top edge of floor mat? Is the floorIMG_20210905_204714.jpg.c17cddcca6b275e12f34d47899171e04.jpg mat supposed to fit right up to the bottom edge of the firewall pad? I'm guessing the floor mat is not supposed to just flop up over bottom edge of  firewall pad as in my photo? This thing is thick! Hope it 'relaxes' a bit with heat & use. Would be great if someone has an original they can check and provide me with some guidance/info.

Greg, the lower edge of your car's firewall pad is missing the narrow, sewn-on strip of ribbed rubber mat material that was originally on the car. This brown mat material matches the ribs in the floor mat. The top of the floor mat tucks behind this strip of matting.

I didn't know the Jenkins repro mat for 1939 BUICK's was done in black, and not brown, as was original on the '39's. I know the mats that Bob's Automobilia did at one time were the correct shade of brown. John

3 hours ago, Jolly_John said:

Greg, the lower edge of your car's firewall pad is missing the narrow, sewn-on strip of ribbed rubber mat material that was originally on the car. This brown mat material matches the ribs in the floor mat. The top of the floor mat tucks behind this strip of matting.

I didn't know the Jenkins repro mat for 1939 BUICK's was done in black, and not brown, as was original on the '39's. I know the mats that Bob's Automobilia did at one time were the correct shade of brown. John

I did not know that brown was the only 39 color. I bought black cuz it's color neutral not thinking about Buick only doing one color, brown, that year. The folks who redid this car just glued in some carpeting removed from Mom's 70's living room, so I shoulda researched more about it. Dang! Shoot,aim, load! Wait? Hmmm....wonder who loved the color brown so danged much at Buick? Well, that might change things! Sucafeca";+'#! Or words to that effect! Jenkins restoration in Carolina is now being operated by the son of Louis Jenkins, who has passed.

• Like 1

This is a 1936 olds, but shows the rubber strip I believe Jolly_John was referring to. If this is right you should be able to the see stitching along the bottom of the firewall pad that once held the rubber strip. The mat just tucks under the rubber strip.

00C0C_2M5X8lVacjm_1200x900-630x354.jpg

• Like 1

Thanx for that photo. When I got the sides trimmed I was hoping it would settle in better than it has. I think there is still far too much material at the top that needs to be turned off, but I need to pull it back a bit to see if that strip is still in place or cut off when they glued the carpet in. Details to follow. Thanx for taking the to post!

I doubt they cut it off. If the 1939 was done like that, the strip probably rotted and fell off. I have mainly been looking at 1936 Fisher bodies. but have not seen many pictures where the strip is still present. The stitches that held it are always there. On my 36 Pontiac, I was able to trim and tuck the mat under the firewall pad, barely. It's not quite right, but doesn't look too bad.

Thanx for that photo. When I got the sides trimmed I was hoping it would settle in better than it has. I think there is still far too much material at the top that needs to be trimmed off, but I need to pull the top of the new mat back and see what's what......... Pulled the new mat and found a couple small widths of the rubber,3-5" wide still attached. I haven't cut the top edge of new mat back and it looks like it will tuck behind the firewall pad if I can get the screws holding it to the firewall to back off a bit. Well, back to fighting the "never ending" 'good', I guess, fight, arrgh!