1st generation exhaust hangers

RivNut

One of the things that i noticed when I disassembled my 64 was the poor condition of the rubber on the exhaust hangers.  I measured the thickness and went to Hanna Rubber and bought a small roll of belting used on conveyor belts. The belt in is smooth on both sides but has a fabric locked into it so it won't stretch.  I disassemble the old hangers, saved the brackets, did the best that I could to measure the old rubber then threw away the old rubber.  A ruler, utility knife, speed square, and drill with a 5/16" bit were the only tools needed. I couldn't find the correct  rivets so I opted for button head bolts with nuts.  One hanger is incomplete until I find an OE hanger that will donate the one end I need. In the past someone jury rigged a universal hanger but it did not bolt up correctly.  Here are some before and after pictures of my hangers. Probably about 90 minutes and less than $20 invested. (For me that's a big deal over the $250 Waldron gets for theirs.)

OldIMG_20210821_154810398.jpg.1f0e9f464354f8bcd90d8c0760199dbf.jpg

New

IMG_20210822_141116426.jpg.037e5ba7ab6d532ef277fea29ddbe927.jpg

• Like 5

Ed,

I recently installed Waldon’s hangers when I put a Classic Exhaust system on my 63. The one hanger you’re  dealing with is  for the exhaust pipe coming out at the rear. Mine, is like the one you say is not original to our Rivieras. The hangers on mine are for a GS exhaust which is what I installed. If I remember correctly one of the members gave Waldon a set so they could reproduce them to be as original. Read this somewhere on the forum.   Attached is a photo of the bracket. FYI, all stainless on mine in case that matters.

Just an observation, I see you used flanged locking nuts on the rubber side. If I was doing it your way I’d use the widest flat washers to distribute the load across as much of the rubber as possible. That is what Waldon did on their hangers. Your original rivets looked to be wide heads. 

Ray

B4DDF392-B11E-46A2-938A-7A8C90A8ABA6.jpeg.eedfa9291955d0150b1b7b0e4a2e6e20.jpeg

Edited by BulldogDriver (see edit history)

I went to the local auto parts store today for some cleani g stuff and blue paper towels and while I was there I took a look at exhaust hangers.  Found a universal hanger that had a piece that I could cut to fit.  It also had 4 heavy duty washers in the box.  I niw have a pair  of tailpipe hangers that I think should work, and they're reinforced with the washers. With that in mind, I went to the hardware store and bought some fairly heavy galvanized washers for the other changes that had a head right in the rubber.  I'll let you know how they work when their time comes.  Right now it's engi e reassembly time.  Here are a couple of current pictures.IMG_20210823_100229522.jpg.39e77f418f9901ea52486628c5cdd759.jpg

IMG_20210823_100322524.jpg.28972beb3508b30652f065ffba054bfd.jpg

I did a similar repair on the hangars on my '67.  The final step I took was to give the threaded end of the bolt protruding from the nut a smack with a hammer.  That will keep the nut from loosening completely and falling off in the future.

I'm guessing Red or Green Lock Tite will serve the same purpose. AND a piece of metal that can be made to serve the same purpose as the washers.  In fact IF using washers they should be fender well washers. Much larger in OD than regular washers.

Tom T.

The washers that I came up with are the same diameter as the head on the original rivet except for the four on the tail pipe hanger, they're even larger.  I looked at fender washers but they all seemed to thin.  I'll give these a try and see how it goes.  The nuts I used are "serrated flange lock nuts" they get a good bite on whatever they're tightened up against.  Where there's a lot of stress on the brackets, Buick built a heavy metal backing plate for the back side.  In my orgininal pictures you can see where there's heavy stamped backing plate on some of the brackets.   I think that I'm in good shape so far.   From what I know so far, I may have to shorten or lengthen the rubber straps,, but that will be easy enough; I have plenty of strapping material left to make ones of different length if needed.  The old ones were deteriorated to the point they were no good for measuring so I did the best that I could with them.

Now if I can just find 6 of the smaller exhaust manifold bolts, the kind that have the indexed washer built in, and my French locks for the manifolds - 6 Rainbows and four individual locks. I know that CARS sells new ones, but I'd just like to find some originals or remember where I stashed mine so I wouldn't lose them. I especially want the bolts, I can live with repos for the French locks. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)