Blue Ridge Country

Paul Dobbin

My October Issue of Blue Ridge Country came today with a article about the five generations of the Thompson's White Post Restoration shop in White Post VA.  Five generations of William

Thompson's in the restoration businees since 1940.   A interesting 9 page article about a interesting place that I have not seen yet.  Lots if fun tales and plenty of pictures made a nice presentation of our hobby and' one of the restoration businesses that support it.

We're at MM 110 on th Applicahain Trail but it's to far to walk, so we;ll have to organize a tour up the

Blue Ridge Parkway to visit it.  Hard to imagine with all our AACA tours that we never got there.

• Like 1

Might be a long tour!  MM 110 on the Appalachian Trail is not on the Blue Ridge parkway, you have to drive maybe 22 miles to a BRP entrance at MM 443.1, then drive to MM 0, then continue on the Skyline Drive for 105 miles, to Front Royal where you exit (end of Parkway system, but the Appalachian Trail continues to Maine by foot) and then drive another 15 miles to White Post, so, 585 miles at 45 MPH max for most of the trip. Better plan a few stops!🤔

It is a fun visit. I first went there in the early 70s, so I met Billy (Billy the second that is).

Come on up!👍

A few more miles north and you can visit Dave Coco.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

The restoration shop is a fantastic tour. I really miss seeing Billy at spring and fall Carlisle shows. A true "renaissance man" and engaging conversationalist.

Paul, all I know is you're in western NC. I81 is 323 miles from Bristol to WV line, so an old car White Post tour would by necessity be a several days' tour. Plus I'm not sure the Parkway is open it's full length.

I would recommend taking  US221 to Roanoke where you'd go thru W Jefferson NC, Galax, Hillsville and Floyd VA. Then pick up US11 thru Natural Bridge and Lexington. Move to US340 at Stuarts Draft/Waynesboro and follow it up the Shenandoah Valley to Front Royal, past Luray and Skyline Caverns, then US522 takes you to White Post and Winchester. Lot of 2 lane, some 4 lane, and enough towns along the way for garage and parts support.

You will see a purple cow on US340!