1928 McLaughlin Buick 28-49

karlosdeville

Hello all,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who is restoring his right hand drive 1928 McLaughlin Buick 28-49 7 passenger Touring. Attached is the ID plate in the engine bay. He'd like to confirm if the serial number on this tag is the same as the VIN, and if not, where would the VIN be stamped?

Are build sheets and first owner details available for these models? If so, how does one apply?

Thanks and regards,

Karl  

PHOTO-2021-07-29-11-13-16.jpg

Ok you have my attention. I thought there were only 2 McLaughlin model 49's built in 28.  (My memory isn't always a guarantee of anything though.)  Is this one of the "known " cars?

Records are incomplete as there were no 27-49's recorded in production, in the production records and I know of 5 that were built.  Being RHD was it exported to Europe?

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Karlosdeville:

"He'd like to confirm if the serial number on this tag is the same as the VIN."  If 1928 is the same as 1929 McL-Buicks, the Serial number is the same as the VIN number - see photo of my Canadian Data Plate.  I have not been able to find any other place that this was stamped on the Canadian cars (unlike USA made 29 Buicks where there was an aluminum tag riveted to the frame behind the front passenger wheel).

Then interesting thing here is that a RHD car does not have an X or C after the model number which is typical for RHD cars produced by GM Canada.  

There were at least 3 model 28-49's made - 1) that's in the Museum in Ottawa (Bernice Marshall's car), 2) one that was converted to RHD, taken to England, then South Africa and back to England early in the War where it was ultimately used as a wrecker until restored by Ed Bacon.  This car was sold at auction from the UK to an Austrian and returned to Canada fairly recently.  Then, 3) is in India, I believe and there may be a 4th.

There is a thread about the 28 Royal Tour Cars somewhere on here.

Where is this car ?

Bill McLaughlin

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, Oldtech said:

Ok you have my attention. I thought there were only 2 McLaughlin model 49's built in 28.  (My memory isn't always a guarantee of anything though.)  Is this one of the "known " cars?

Records are incomplete as there were no 27-49's recorded in production, in the production records and I know of 5 that were built.  Being RHD was it exported to Europe?

The car has been in India since forever, probably from new. It is a very well known car, but I'd really like to learn more of its origins 

2 hours ago, Bill - 29 Buick said:

Karlosdeville:

"He'd like to confirm if the serial number on this tag is the same as the VIN."  If 1928 is the same as 1929 McL-Buicks, the Serial number is the same as the VIN number - see photo of my Canadian Data Plate.  I have not been able to find any other place that this was stamped on the Canadian cars (unlike USA made 29 Buicks where there was an aluminum tag riveted to the frame behind the front passenger wheel).

Then interesting thing here is that a RHD car does not have an X or C after the model number which is typical for RHD cars produced by GM Canada.  

There were at least 3 model 28-49's made - 1) that's in the Museum in Ottawa (Bernice Marshall's car), 2) one that was converted to RHD, taken to England, then South Africa and back to England early in the War where it was ultimately used as a wrecker until restored by Ed Bacon.  This car was sold at auction from the UK to an Austrian and returned to Canada fairly recently.  Then, 3) is in India, I believe and there may be a 4th.

There is a thread about the 28 Royal Tour Cars somewhere on here.

Where is this car ?

Bill McLaughlin

Thank you for the confirmation on the VIN. This is the same India car in discussion, so that still makes it 3? Were all 3 part of the Royal Tour? Where can I read up more on these cars?

Thanks

Karl  

Hi,

browsing net for years seems to me that there were more 28-49s built in Canada. My theory is (but i cannot prove it though) that two 28-49s built in that (model?) year referred to in literature actually meant two cars build in Flint, USA while McLaughlin built more of them and out of them two were designated for Royal tour...... For example, there was/is big McLaughlin touring car in Spain (with brown paint), that is very much  like 28-49.....

Would love to see more of your friends car......

Josef

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pepcak said:

Hi,

browsing net for years seems to me that there were more 28-49s built in Canada. My theory is (but i cannot prove it though) that two 28-49s built in that (model?) year referred to in literature actually meant two cars build in Flint, USA while McLaughlin built more of them and out of them two were designated for Royal tour...... For example, there was/is big McLaughlin touring car in Spain (with brown paint), that is very much  like 28-49.....

Would love to see more of your friends car......

Josef

Hi Josef - we actually exchanged a few emails in March 2009 on this same car :) Its been a while but trying again to document its early history.

Hi Karlos,

time is passing damned quickly..... As someone on this forum mentioned, too much projects, too little time 😉 

Dibarlaw - I remember this barnfind pic, I was just lazy to seek for the picture. And I agree, this is very much 28-49ish rather than anything else....

Josef

• Like 2