55 Dynaflow Tran

buickbrothers

Hi All,

I am nearing the completion of restoring a 55 Roadmaster. My brother and I have been working this project for a couple of years. The only thing we haven't taken apart is the carcass off the frame - not equipped for that. We have learned and done it all so far. I'm neck deep in the transmission and was on the path to reassemble. However, I'm stuck on the rear pump. The rear pump drive key is a nub - basically worn down to the shaft level. I'm not finding a source for the rear pump drive key. Does anyone know where to get this part?  I've attached a reference. Thanks.

Slide1.JPG

Thanks Bill. Ordered the key yesterday. I'm hoping to salvage and reuse the rubber cushion underneath since they don't have this part. Any thoughts on how to key the old worn down key out of the shaft? I've tried a magnet but I believe it's jammed in pretty good. 

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe drill a small hole in it?  You may be able to extract it with the bit, otherwise try inserting a screw into the hole.  If the key turns, this might not be possible, but on the other hand, if it breaks loose while you're attempting to drill it then the magnet may work...

So I got the new drive key and was able to successfully remove the old one with a small drill bit. Clean removal, thank the lord! However, there is suppose to be a rubber cushion under the metal drive key. It's either degraded away or there wasn't one installed. So now, I'm trying to find a vendor for the rubber cushion or figure out how to make one. What I can't determine is the length it should be if I have to make it. Anyone know a vendor (fastco didn't have the cushion) or the dimensions it needs to be? 

Thanks John. It was the rubber cushion that goes under the drive key installed in the shaft of the planetary gearset that drives the rear pump gear. Man, this transmission is kicking my butt. Just as I overcome one problem, another pop's up. I'm using a transmission rebuild kit from OLDBUICKPARTS. Didn't know it actually came from Fatsco. Now, the brand new oil seal rings on the clutch pack shaft are not staying snapped together. One broke. The snap ends are very thin/poorly designed and pop loose with minor movement. I have to get some new ones. The rings that were on there were better quality but worn. Since these came from Fatsco, is there a better source for these seal rings - requires 3.