Exhaust System To Tame The 440

Good Day, Chrysler Aficionados:

My recent '68 Imperial Crown purchase came with a single exhaust system, proper for a K-series 440 engine, but the previous owner had a glass-pack muffler on it, and I use the term 'muffler' loosely. It was very loud. 

Though it has the K-series, the previous owner found a proper L-series dual-snorkel air cleaner and installed it; it looks cool. Naturally, the first thing I did to the car was to install a dual exhaust system, telling the exhaust dude to make the car as silent as possible. We even added a X-pipe for noise cancellation. Failure. It was much better, but still too loud. 

An experienced Mopar associate told me that Imperials were built with 30-inch mufflers. I took it to his shop, but he failed to get the "Imperial mufflers" and installed the biggest mufflers he could find and added resonators. I couldn't tell any difference. We removed the X-pipe. That seemed to help a little, but it was still too loud for my luxury car preferences. 

While giving my 94-year-old hard-of-hearing mother a ride in the grand Crown, she says to me, "Joseph, isn't it a bit loud?"

What a bummer.

What now? Where may I get these big, 30-inch Imperial mufflers?

An H-pipe on my '66 Charger reduced its exhaust noise noticeably, but that X-pipe chamber seemed to be a source of noise. Any experience  with H-pipe verses X-pipe configurations?

Was it a mistake to go with dual exhausts?

Thank you for your experience and insights, gentlemen . . . and ladies.

A few photos for reference . . . 

IMG_0196.JPG.596615abcb0a3666fb09ac8fe97006c8.JPG

The first dual exhaust system. Much better than a single glass-pack, but still louder than my stock '66 Charger. 

IMG_1323.JPG.c93a2fbf87e2a549af1b0c3a5744b2ca.JPG

The second dual exhaust system. Not much better than the first. The X-pipe feature was removed. 

IMG_3633.JPG.d5d64e04763979c74d90c1a8ff1f05cd.JPG

H-pipe configuration on the '66 Charger. It effectively reduced exhaust noise.

END POST.

Sounds like your muffler guy may have cheaped out.

I have a set of original type 440 mufflers behind a 392 Hemi and when I am routed through them I cant even hear it run.

I like it better when I am bypassed, but that's the rascal in me.

Hers a pic of my invention.

IM003578.JPG

Whoa, Jack! What an exhaust system! And what fun.

I found a supplier of original 1967-8 Imperial single and dual exhaust systems, thanks to a member of the Online Imperial Club. It is shipped pre-bent to factory specs. I should be able to install it myself. 

It's very frustrating. I've poured $998 into two installed exhaust systems. The next system hasn't been priced yet; looks like parts alone will be near $825, then clamps and hangers, then shipping! 

But the great RitaMary must be silent. 

Thanks, Jack.

1447194571_IMG_1448(3).JPG.68dc3a4e758deeb3942dee9b52afe523.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, JACK M said:

Sounds like your muffler guy may have cheaped out.

I have a set of original type 440 mufflers behind a 392 Hemi and when I am routed through them I cant even hear it run.

I like it better when I am bypassed, but that's the rascal in me.

Hers a pic of my invention.

IM003578.JPG

Why was I not surprised after looking at the picture to see your name Jack? 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't understand why you left the shop when you didn't get what you paid for. My Muffler guy would have tried different mufflers until until we arrived at a satisfactory solution. If you asked for quiet you should have gotten quiet not some wild a??ed guess. 

Most cars come from the factory with quiet exhaust systems so finding a quiet muffler shouldn't be an issue for a good shop. 

Hopefully your on the right track now. Good luck. 

PS.

From my experience your on the right track with the "H" or crossover pipe. They tend to tame the bark and mellow the exhaust. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Fossil said:

I can't understand why you left the shop when you didn't get what you paid for. My Muffler guy would have tried different mufflers until until we arrived at a satisfactory solution. If you asked for quiet you should have gotten quiet not some wild a??ed guess. 

Most cars come from the factory with quiet exhaust systems so finding a quiet muffler shouldn't be an issue for a good shop. 

Hopefully your on the right track now. Good luck. 

PS.

From my experience your on the right track with the "H" or crossover pipe. They tend to tame the bark and mellow the exhaust. 

Hey, Fossil:

Why did I leave unsatisfied? Twice? 

Personality flaw, I suppose; I tend to avoid confrontations. Though, it didn't have to be a confrontation. I should have discussed my dissatisfaction and had each guy try again. But I'm not so good at that, a lesson well-learned before I have my restoration project's body-work done by a professional. 

This discussion reminds me of another specialty exhaust garage story . . . true story. In 2016, I took my '66 Charger to the local pipe-bender near my brother's garage in Brady's Bend, Pennsylvania. The pipe-bender, Andy, is a friend; in fact, our entire large families have enjoyed mutual admiration for as long as I remember. Andy installed what he believed was a quiet, stock  exhaust system. When I fired it up upon my return, it was louder than before. "Whadaya think?", asked Andy. "I'm sorry, Andy. It's louder than before". I said I would come back another day, but he insisted that he change the mufflers at once to ones he knew were more quiet.

What a commotion in the garage . . . Andy cussed and yelled at himself, throwing tools and ranting about his mistake. But he installed quiet mufflers at no extra cost. Then we listened together, and he installed the H-pipe for a bit more money. That did it. We're still good friends.

Andy has since sold his business. He just loved fishing too much. He is a creative guy, a small-time musician, as shown in the picture below that I took that day before the work started. 

100_9729.JPG.d39b0ea4c85d83246193a979a36991a5.JPG

That's right, Andy made his own 4-string banjo using parts in stock. Absolutely hilarious looking, yet the sound was pretty good for car parts!

Notice the seat-belt banjo strap. The O2 sensor is a nice touch. It was a hit a local festivals, especially with those who know Andy as an exhaust guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, "Tame 440" fans, the third exhaust system arrived yesterday. Complete with OEM clamps, gaskets, and hangers, this pre-bent system is touted as being capable of giving this luxury car the dignified sound of an OEM system. The mufflers are enormous. Not 30" long as one guy said; they're 29.5" from inlet to outlet, just shy of 25" were it counts. That's the dimension I'm interested in. 

So, we'll see. I'll keep you posted. Can we share video files on this forum? You can bet that I'll record "before" and "after" sounds. 

1214445791_20210706_1724041.jpg.e8c3ee7b34bf2f73b82d5ab807158ed1.jpg       1373123931_20210706_173442(3).jpg.4ea6c85826560b0e7fa7ef26bc71722a.jpg

654041026_20210706_173459(2).jpg.e0e90bd87e1560341637fccb2b93b0a5.jpg

• Like 2