Problem 1952 Mercury carb

Gronk

I'm hoping someone out there can give me a solution to this ongoing problem. My fuel bowl goes empty at the most unopportune times. It happened the other day just after I filled up and left the gas station. I have cleaned out or have had rebuilt everything in the fuel system from the gas tank forward. I figured it might be the needle valve since I found it to be stuck a few times. I fashioned a wire clip to the needle to connect it to the float thinking that would solve the problem. I warmed up the vehicle and drove down my driveway to get my mail. It idled there a few minutes and when I got in to go back up the driveway it died. Dry again. I can't find a new needle and seat for the carb. 

I really need some advice from someone that may have had this experience. I'm lost. The carb is a Holley 1901 model. EAC 9510 E2 The carb was rebuilt last season. Also I can sit and rev the engine as long as I want and that's not a problem either 

Sounds like it's vapor locking. If you just have the original pump sitting up on top of the engine, that's when they do it. Just when you get on the highway after leaving the service station.  Emergency fix. Cold water on the fuel pump. long term fix is likely an electric booster. 

• Like 1

That sounds feasible and an electric pump has been suggested. I don't think it's vapor lock and I'm not that savvy. But when it does happen I have to take the bowl cover off and fill it with fuel I keep in the trunk for that purpose. then I'm underway again. After leaving the gas station that last time I had to do that twice after only getting down the road maybe a quarter mile ,if that. The second time I moved the needle a few times and filled the bowl and was able to drive the 3 miles home.  

HI Jon, all I can give you is what's on the carb and data sheet I have I hope the pictures helpIMG_20210616_133535568.jpg.408c96bc73dfbe95f4be461df8355f07.jpgll I can give you is what's on the carb and Data sheet I have. I hope the pictures help.

IMG_20210616_133442721.jpg

(egg on face emoji)

Somehow, when the information in the various Holley books was digitized, this one was overlooked.

Looks like I am the one needing to do more research.

There will be a rebuilding kit available Monday of next week.

Jon.

• Like 1

This thread just goes to prove one should always question.

So, after reviewing the SECOND (older) Holley book (printed form was not in the first, only the service form).

1952 Mercury with standard transmission carb List R-694-A Mercury number EAC-9510-E2

1953 Mercury with standard transmission carb List R-694-1A Mercury number EAC-9510-L (service for EAC-9510-E2)

1952-1953 Mercury with standard transmission carb List R-694-2A (no Mercury number listed) (service for EAC-9510-E2, EAC-9510-L)

Later (I believe 1955) all three of the above were service by List R-882-A Mercury EAC-9510-K, which also serviced vehicles with automatics.

The "9510" is the FoMoCo group number for "carburetor", and while technically a portion of the part number, it is normally omitted from listings. Thus most listings, including mine now that I have corrected it, would list List R-694-A (or just List 694) EAC-E2. And while I have corrected by database, updating the website takes more time.

Rebuilding kits, as well as many other parts not contained in the kit, are readily available.

EDIT: you mentioned wanting a needle and seat. We don't sell kit components individually, but since you brought an error in my files to my attention, the part number is 18R-19A. Perhaps another vendor does offer the valve separately, I do not know.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mr Carbking, Jon lighten up. You have given me hope. I was beginning to wonder what the hell was going on. I'm not a babe in the woods but I'm pretty new to this older machinery. I knew if I threw this out there all of you who have replied would lead me in the right direction or give me a clue. For that I'm grateful. I'm hoping the rebuild kit has that little clip that holds the needle to the float is in there, that's what I really need (of all things). Mine went missing and I fashioned one up myself out of as thin a wire I had. But I don't know. By the way mine is a "three on the tree" , with overdrive. Pretty funny Rocketraider.  I've bought several books and subscribe to Skinned Knuckles but I'm thinking joining AACA is one of the smarter things I've done. What with the experience and knowledge on hand, thank yiu guys