Seat Manufacturers

In the 1917 New York Salon souvenir program on page 26, The Trenton Spring Mattress Company of Trenton, NJ took a half page ad noting they made the "Lace Web" spring cushion . So apparently the mattress spring companies just after the first World War were starting to see the opportunity to get extra business as the demand for cars increased and the components that they were made of in need.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, given the year, that the tag is typed, and not handwritten.  We take such labels for granted today, but imagine that somebody had to roll this label into a typewriter, and manually produce it. ( …I would think, anyway.  Perhaps Haynes had sufficient volume to justify the cushion company having these printed up in volume on both sides.)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Akstraw said:

Interesting, given the year, that the tag is typed, and not handwritten.  We take such labels for granted today, but imagine that somebody had to roll this label into a typewriter, and manually produce it. ( …I would think, anyway.  Perhaps Haynes had sufficient volume to justify the cushion company having these printed up in volume on both sides.)

I don't believe that tag was ever inserted in a typewriter.  Multiple tags were printed by an inked stamp which used a memiograph type paper where one either hand-wrote or used a typewriter to state the product application in this case, or for a shipping name and address.   The shipping department where I worked several years ago had one of these hand-stamps with a box of the special two-layered paper to write or type the customer address on.  They are not be confused with a familiar rubber stamp.  The brand name of the one we used escapes me right now.

Craig 

• Like 1

I did not realize that mimeograph type technology was that old, but I think you are right.

• Like 1