Correct light bulbs for 1957?

lancemb

Okay, this has really bugged me for years.  Every time I go to put a bulb in tail light, backup, brake, or parking light I never am confident which bulb number is correct.  In most cases there is more than 1 that will "work', but they are different for a reason, probably the filament material or resistance. 

I want to use what's correct!

I've taken many lights apart and have seen many different ones used.

Is there something in Buick literature that tells what the correct bulb number should be for all the lights?  I wasn't able to find anything on a previous attempt.

It is probably in the owners manual. For the dual filament ones, 1034 would have been typical for the time frame, but I can't be 100% sure for Buick. A lot of push is given to 1157 these days because it supposedly has a long life filament. It probably didn't exist in 1957. 2057 definitely didn't. A similar situation exists for the bright single-filament bulbs used in backup lights but I can't remember the old and new numbers. Wattages vary among the modern substitutes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bloo said:

It is probably in the owners manual. For the dual filament ones, 1034 would have been typical for the time frame, but I can't be 100% sure for Buick. A lot of push is given to 1157 these days because it supposedly has a long life filament. It probably didn't exist in 1957. 2057 definitely didn't. A similar situation exists for the bright single-filament bulbs used in backup lights but I can't remember the old and new numbers. Wattages vary among the modern substitutes.

Unfortunately it's nit in owners manual.  I would expect it to be in shop manual, but I couldn't find it.  I'll look again soon though. 

• Like 1

AH Ha! 1073. I forgot that number for back up lamps.

To convert AC Delco lamp numbers to most everyone else, leave off the leading L😉

On 5/18/2021 at 8:42 AM, The 55er said:

This should help you, it's an AC Guide Lamps catalog from 1970. It's got all the bulb application info for cars from 1951-1970. As you can see, 1957 Buicks are on the very bottom line of the Buick section. 

IMG_0003 (2).JPG

IMG_0001 (2).JPG

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

Thank you!  This is perfect!