36 Series 40 Distributor

Rock10

Is the center terminal in the distributor cap spring loaded? We bought a new cap an rotor and can't get the cap back on. It pivots off of the rotor and won't seat. Cap fit fine without the rotor or with the old rotor which was damaged.

Cap: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS DR196

Rotor:  STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS DR142

22 minutes ago, Old buicks 2 said:

Dist contact on the DR 196 is not spring loaded.   Check the shaft for the rotor.  It may need to be cleaned up with some steel wool or a 3M scratch pad.

Rotor fits good and tight. Won't go down any further. Going to mic the old rotor tomorrow. Something is out of wack.

7 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I have an extra distributor for a 35 40 series for parts if you need it. It's missing the vacuum advance part and cap and rotor but the base and shaft and gear seem good. Just pay for shipping from Florida 32927.

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:16 AM, hwellens said:

Your advance curves are different by a couple degrees, but, at different RPMs.

Below are the specs.

Dist2.jpg

dist.jpg

Can you please post page 2 of the 1st bulletin? I want to see the profile of the 663E which is 1000.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Rock10 said:

Can you please post page 2 of the 1st bulletin? I want to see the profile of the 663E which is 1000.

Thanks

Here it is:

587147857_Distcurves.jpg.814990078e1b3047ae6d7fe26f56aa51.jpg

• Like 2

Since the topic of a spring loaded carbon brush has been brought up. the thing to know and to look for is that the brush must make contact, and so something must be spring loaded in some way.

If the carbon brush is spring loaded, the brass it contacts on the rotor can be cast in and immovable. If the carbon brush is crimped solid into the cap, then something on the rotor must take up the slack. Usually it is a flexible strip of metal that reaches up from the rotor to contact the brush.

It is possible on some cars to mix the two systems and come up with a combination that will not work correctly. I am not sure if that applies here, but it is worth looking at.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know if the gear is help on with a roll pin? Mine looks staked on both sides. I've tried to drill a little on a spare one, but it doesn't look like it comes out. Want to pull it apart and clean the shaft.