In-tank Electric Fuel Pump

Scott524

This may be bringing up an old topic, but I've been searching the forum and just can't find a solution on this topic.

I have a 63 Riv and plan on running an EFI throttle body. I've installed these before and have found that the in-tank electric fuel pump are much quieter than the in-line pumps. I'm having trouble locating a company that makes an in-tank fuel pump with return that will fit in the stock mounting hole in a 63 Riv fuel tank. 

Does anyone know of a company that makes one? Or are people modifying a stock pickup by incorporating an electric pump or drilling a new hole for an aftermarket pump which requires you to either mount the take lower (allowing for top clearance) or lower the top surface of the tank?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Scott

Scott,

IF the in-line pump is mounted correctly with the proper insulators there should be little or no noise coming from the installation. Of course it should be mounted to the frame to help eliminate/isolate from any body mounting sheet metal.

I would think that if it was mounted to the original pick-up/fuel sending unit it would have to be small enough to fit through the existing hole. Then you have the fuel sloshing around & the tank has no baffiling to help keep fuel surrounding the pump.  Of course you would have to find a pump small enough & high volume/pressure enough for what is required/protected from making a volatale situation.

The best thing to do in my mind is to have a tank special made especially for your vehicle & situation.

Of course/unfortunately I'm sure it won't be cheap. BUT, it may save you many headaches going forward.

Just my thoughts.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)

Nothing is available for the standard hole size in the tank.  I went with Tanks Inc’s PA4 unit. Uses a industry standard pump. You can mount it in the same place as the current hole but best thing to do is mount it where the tank has a flat surface large enough to fit the  PA4’s mount ring. If not and you go with the original hole best to get a body shop to install and weld it in place. I also had to go with their solid state fuel sender as the originals arm interfered with the pump’s tray. Another reason to mount on a flat area. You will most likely need to use a spacer towards the front of the tank to clear the plumbing on top of the tank for the pump, I did. You’ll most likely need to swap out the return line as it is 5/16” and most EFI’s need 3/8” minimum. The conversion is a fair amount of work if you do it properly. 

There are several posts on the conversion, I did a full conversion; EFI, distributor,  upgraded electrical system and alternator. A bunch of time, work and money and in the end went back to a carburetor dialed in using an AFR gauge, but thats another story.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

Ray

What you need to do is buy a repro tank for a 69 GTO. It is identical to the 65 Riviera tank except that the

neck is longer and the GTO tank has the large hole for the sending unit. What you do is cut a section out of the GTO tank neck and weld the end of the neck back to the

sectioned neck on the tank. A friend of mine did this on his early Riviera back when you couldn't buy new tanks for them. Drop -in electric fuel pumps are readily available for the GTO tank.