1950 Buick Roadmaster

cooper2019

I have a 1950 Buick Roadmaster with a straight 8 and the exhaust manifold is leaking where it slides into the adjoining manifold, it is leaking and the vehicle is not much fun to drive due to the noise, I realize the they did this to allow for the expansion because the engine is so long. my question is what can I do to remedy the situation and get rid of the leak, the manual says to loosen the nuts the tighten to the specified torque but that dosent seem to work. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Your manifold is a three piece component and prone to breaking at the location you noted.  It has been postulated that the part could be welded for repair.  Many owners of cars with similar engines find a replacement part.  According to my parts book, the exhaust manifold from 1940 and 1946-51, all series 70 are the same.  You may also look way down on this forum site for people that talk about Buicks a lot; they can be a helpful lot.

Have searched hi and low for the center body and the rear manifold (of the 3 piece set fitting the 1950 roadmaster) without any luck, should anyone out there have either the center body or the back section they want to get rid of let me know, I did find a back section on ebay so that would solve part of my problem.

Edited by cooper2019 (see edit history)

Sometimes these show up on eBay or elsewhere.  I have bought the smaller size (263) for the shelf and later  used it.  Check some  of the parts dealers such as CARS, Bobs and others.  Someone was making new ones for the 320 engine but they are a bit pricey, as are those you find in a flea market, if the seller knows what he has.  I would buy one as an insurance item until you sell the car.  They crack.

So I have finally aquired all 3 pieces of the ehaust manifold for the straight 8 and could use a bit of advice on how much heat needs to be applied to the center piece in order for the front and back to slide into the collar, I am hoping that once they are inserted that I will be able to move them enough so everything matches up. Or if there is some trick to getting them together I'm all eye's.