Buick Saturday

Mudbone

Buick Saturday again, but I wasn't working on the 55. I had ABS codes on the Lucerne so I replaced both front wheel hubs with sensors. So far so Good. It has been coming on and off for several months but lately it was on all the time. 

20210417_075743.jpg

20210417_075747.jpg

20210417_075802.jpg

20210417_075905.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudbone said:

Buick Saturday again, but I wasn't working on the 55. I had ABS codes on the Lucerne so I replaced both front wheel hubs with sensors. So far so Good. It has been coming on and off for several months but lately it was on all the time. 

20210417_075747.jpg

This is a job I have never done personally, and as such I think thats quite an array of power tools needed.  

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

This is a job I have never done personally, and as such I think thats quite an array of power tools needed.  

It’s not bad. You don’t have to have power tools but it speeds it up some. The hard part is removing the hub as it was corroded to the spindle. (A lot of penetrating oil and a big hammer) The biggest problem I had was the wheel fell off of my mechanics seat and I crashed and burned. That did not help my mood any as I would have rather been working on the 55.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Unitized hub/bearing are great.

...unless you live where winter road salt is prevalent.  The brine turns the steel hub and aluminum knuckle into a battery.  I've had to soak the interface with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight.  Then wail on the bearing flange with a hammer and chisel (or air chisel) until it breaks free.  On the other hand, I changed the front hub on my father's FWD Cadillac (from Tennessee) in my driveway in about 45 minutes without more than a few light taps!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

...unless you live where winter road salt is prevalent.  The brine turns the steel hub and aluminum knuckle into a battery.  I've had to soak the interface with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight.  Then wail on the bearing flange with a hammer and chisel (or air chisel) until it breaks free.  On the other hand, I changed the front hub on my father's FWD Cadillac (from Tennessee) in my driveway in about 45 minutes without more than a few light taps!

No different here in MD. Brine is used to treat roads.  I replaced the drivers side in my wife's buggy.  Basically fell out with a whack of a hammer.  The passenger side.... torch, WD40, slide hammer and cussing she finally relented.  My brother in law hand was swollen from using the slide hammer.  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1