1939 Ford RailRoad Express Van, not mine.

A V8 60 in that behemoth!  Not worries about a driver speeding with that rig!  No doubt between a governor on the engine and the tall rear differential gears, 30 mph was the limit.    Wonder how many replacement service flathead V8's got swapped into it during its working years?

BTW, that was Railway Express Agency that operated parcel shipping out of every railroad station across the country before UPS or FedEx existed.

Added photos for the record.

'39 Ford V8 60 Railway Express Van OK a.jpg

'39 Ford V8 60 Railway Express Van OK b.jpg

'39 Ford V8 60 Railway Express Van OK c.jpg

'39 Ford V8 60 Railway Express Van OK d.jpg

'39 Ford V8 60 Railway Express Van OK e.jpg

'39 Ford V8 60 Railway Express Van OK f.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added photos for the record. (see edit history)

Was "Railroad Express" an actual company name or were these purpose built vehicles? The reason I ask is, there is a very similar vehicle that has been parked in north Palm Springs for years.  Same era,  same distintive box shape, even the same shade of green. But the local one has wheels and tires.

I'll see if I can pop by later and get a pic.

19 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Was "Railroad Express" an actual company name or were these purpose built vehicles? The reason I ask is, there is a very similar vehicle that has been parked in north Palm Springs for years.  Same era,  same distintive box shape, even the same shade of green. But the local one has wheels and tires.

I'll see if I can pop by later and get a pic.

Railway Express Agency was a company separate from the railroads that handled parcel shipping through railroad stations.  They developed this style van body which was manufactured for them to mount on a variety of truck chassis.

Railway Express Agency - Wikipedia

This REA sign was on about every railroad station throughout the nation. 

Ritzville,_WA_-_Northern_Pacific_Railway_Depot_-_Railway_Express_sign_01.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I think it's cool but good luck finding road wheels for that thing. It's not like you can just put it on the tracks and go have fun with it.

These were road-going delivery trucks, had the common Budd wheels of the times.