Pre-war (?) 4 door

AURktman

Hello All,

This is my car!  The car is a 1923 Franklin Series 10B Demi-Sedan with 28,000 original miles.  

Short History: The car was sold new at Ralph Hamlin’s Franklin Motor Car dealership.  The car is and continues to be a SoCal car.  In 1933 the car was painted with aviation dope for the 1933 National Air Races at, what is now, LAX airport.  The crack paint is a result of the aviation dope shrinking on itself.   

We drive the car regularly.  It is fantastic on long tours along with short trips around town.  

Since the car is a Demi-Sedan, the widows and frames are removable thus giving a open or touring car feel with the fixed top.  Each window is independent of the other.  We have all the windows for the car but rarely install them.  

Thanks for the interest! 

7A3B576B-BCBD-411B-A5FF-E16062982880.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Franklin-Pierce said:

Hello All,

This is my car!  The car is a 1923 Franklin Series 10B Demi-Sedan with 28,000 original miles.  

Short History: The car was sold new at Ralph Hamlin’s Franklin Motor Car dealership.  The car is and continues to be a SoCal car.  In 1933 the car was painted with aviation dope for the 1933 National Air Races at, what is now, LAX airport.  The crack paint is a result of the aviation dope shrinking on itself.   

We drive the car regularly.  It is fantastic on long tours along with short trips around town.  

Since the car is a Demi-Sedan, the widows and frames are removable thus giving a open or touring car feel with the fixed top.  Each window is independent of the other.  We have all the windows for the car but rarely install them.  

Thanks for the interest! 

Outstanding!!  It is such a unique car!  I was wondering how the windows worked, it almost looked like they slid side to side.  There were a ton of cars in that video, but yours really piqued my interest.  Thank you for responding to this, I certainly appreciate it!  

How many miles did it have when you acquired it?  I’m assuming it was stored for a significant period, how long?  I absolutely love histories about cars like yours. 

Great Questions.  

The car had about 22,000 miles when I acquired it.  The Franklin has found its forever home with our family.  It’s life has been hard but now rest comfortably in the stable.  

For some reason the car spent most of its life in a chicken coop before being moved to a outside storage area.  Luckily the weather in Southern California is arid and did not further deteriorate the car.   The wood frame was solid but the top was gone thus dried out the original leather interior. 

When I acquired the car in ‘08 it was partially disassembled.  It took several years of research, asking questions, and coming to terms with re-painting/finishing parts of the body.   The motor went through a partial rebuild.

Although the car is not 100% finished, it brings a lot of smiles per mile.  

A0FDC67D-D021-47CE-8A45-3AABC38419C9.jpeg

4CA21753-A6B7-41C4-9048-A913C5EEEE54.png

2C1A857D-C919-4156-80FB-B6A033E6CD70.jpeg

4BCFC5C5-6851-439D-B27B-C6750216B6C6.jpeg

Edited by Franklin-Pierce (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2