Not getting fuel pressure

64Rivvy

Working to get the car running again.  I can get it to start right up and run if I fill the fuel bowls directly, but not building any pressure to keep it running. Carb is dry.  I added about 4 gallons to the tank in case it was out of gas. Let me know if that's not enough. It wasn't bone dry but definitely low.

Is there something I can do to prime the fuel line to the carb?  I've tried turning it over but kills the battery before I get any fuel. Going to try disconnecting the main line from bottom of fuel filter and turning it over to see if I get any fuel but not sure what else to try. Fuel pump should be good. Its relatively new and car never had fuel delivery problems before sitting.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Raul

Is gas pissing out in the carb throat when the throttle is pushed?

If yes bad gas need more gas

If no:

pull the hose before just before the fuel filter...turn the key...is gas coming out?

if yes replace/bypass filter (easy)

If no start working backwards at pump (not too hard)

Edited by gungeey
oops (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I just used my mighty vac and i only had to squeeze the trigger once and  there's fuel right at the filter so looks like the pump was pulling fuel up to close to the filter. I checked the fuel line to the carb and was able to blow through it easily so no obstruction I'm seeing in the carb.

Then I checked the rubber return line and it was cracked almost in half about an inch up from the filterl.  I think that's the culprit. I was already going to replace that line anyways. Going to splice in a new line just to test it. Just trying to let the engine idle for 5 to 10 min to check for leaks and see how everything is sounding. 

What size is the return fuel line if anyone knows? Its definitely seems smaller than 5/16.  

Edited by 64Rivvy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It could be the pump.  My car was sporadically driven and the fuel pump (original to the car) finally gave up one day without warning.  Fortunately it happened in the garage.  I believe the internal pieces just gave up and crumbled inside the pump lever arm area.  I picked up a Carter unit and it immediately fired up after a lengthy prime.

It's fairly easy to access but I would start with seeing if you get fuel in the places gungeey pointed out.

Sure you're not thinking of the oem metal lines?  The ID on the rubber line on there is definitely smaller than the 5/16 runner lines i have and the 5/16 runner lines is pretty loose on the return nipple on the fuel filter.  Possible what is on there is not right. 

That did it!  Its alive again!!  Been about 4 years since she ran last. Will do a separate update post once I let it run a while. I can tell i need to make a fan adjustment and tweak a few things before I really let it run. Will let you all know how it goes. 

• Like 3