1934 Dictator Shock absorbers. Educate me.

I have a 34 Dictator A, Canadian Built. The car has not been in one piece for 50 years. 

I have a number of shocks but not sure which ones were on the car or bought over the years while my father and I were scouring the rows of Hershey and Carlisle. 

I am trying to make this car as correct as possible so my question is which shocks are used, where and how do they mount for the front and rear.

My parts book is very vague. It shows that yes, the car had them but not available. 

The front doesn't list a part number but the rear does. 

There are part numbers listed for links, intake valves eye bolts etc.

Educate me. Pictures would be great. 

I appreciate any info and discussion this will create.

I have no doubt it would be the same as the 35 Dictator. The parts manual doesnt say that. I am just now in the shop and all mine are Delco Remy which by the manual makes sense because the 35 Canadian built ones were Delco. 

Some pictures on location and proper orientation would be great. Before I start the rebuild on them I'd like to know which ones I am going to use. I have 6.  Here are a few pictures. 2nd picture is where I am at. Piecing it together a little at a time.

16109088654798699155817528526378.jpg

16109090818128959245305109627712.jpg

According to the factory Catalog of Chassis Parts the shocks are the same Delco-Lovejoys that are on the U.S. assembled  '32 Rockne 65 and '33 Rockne 10 (models 30 and 31 in the catalog).

I will post pictures of how they are mounted on my '33, which has never had them removed.

In the meantime, here are the pages with the part numbers.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

Sweet. That helps. My factory parts manual is a 34-46. It doesn't list these numbers. Pictures of how yours mounts would be great. Mine is a Canadian one which if you notice for the rear at least, has a different number although I am certain they are essentially the same. Another interesting note is if you notice the manual says under Note 4 that the 35 Dictator does not use front shocks. Unless I'm misunderstanding what it is saying. 

22 minutes ago, Albtrossca said:

... the manual says under Note 4 that the 35 Dictator does not use front shocks. Unless I'm misunderstanding what it is saying. 

But the '35 is a Model 1A, not the '34 Model A that you have.

Understand these photos are of a Rockne Model 10 (31), but the same part numbers in the catalog for the '34 Dictator Model A.

Front shocks are mounted outside the frame with 7" lever arms pointing forward, and rear shocks are mounted inside the frame with 10" lever arms pointing to the rear.

First two images are right front. Note the curve in the 7" arms.

Second two images are left rear. The 10" arms are straight.

P1171254.JPG

P1171267.JPG

P1171265.JPG

P1171258.JPG

P1171269.JPG

2 hours ago, starlightcoupe said:

But the '35 is a Model 1A, not the '34 Model A that you have.

Sorry, I was confusing. I knew mine was a model A. I was pointing out that the 35 dictator doesn't have any on the front yet the 34 does. I was looking at it from a point of logic in why the 35 doesn't have one and the 34 does? They aren't that different.

To explain my point of view, I have to assemble my car like a jigsaw puzzle. I open a box full of pieces and only a picture and some parts manuals to go by. Therefore I approach everything with a question of why, how and logic. 

2 hours ago, starlightcoupe said:

Understand these photos are of a Rockne Model 10 (31), but the same part numbers in the catalog for the '34 Dictator Model A.

Front shocks are mounted outside the frame with 7" lever arms pointing forward, and rear shocks are mounted inside the frame with 10" lever arms pointing to the rear.

First two images are right front. Note the curve in the 7" arms.

Second two images are left rear. The 10" arms are straight.

P1171254.JPG

P1171267.JPG

P1171265.JPG

P1171258.JPG

P1171269.JPG

That is excellent! That should really help me make sense of where everything goes and what I need. All the rubber grommets are a burnt, cracked or dried out. 

Can I bother you for one more thing. I am missing the bottom plate to mount the rear axle, U-bolts and shock link. It appears to be a simple plate of steal with the holes drilled in the correct spots. If you could measure length width and thickness I can figure the hole positions.  I should be able to manufacture one myself. 

I really appreciate all your help. 

Riddled with arthritis and not as skinny as I used to be; will have to jack up the car to get those dimensions. 😆

Don't expect that within 24 hours! 😉

In the meantime, maybe someone with an actual '34 Dictator instead of a '33 Rockne might feel induced to help.

I WILL get back to you.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, rbk said:

Starlightcoupe Thanks for the pictures.

Documenting the shock absorbers mounting and links will help others in the future.

I am always amazed by the help and cooperation you give.

Kind words, Bob. Thank YOU!