The New and Improved Hemmings

Dave@Moon

Yesterday my copy of the new <span style="font-style: italic">Hemmings</span> arrived. They've now included a 15 page or so "Hemmings Magazine" section of articles and auction results.

While it's obviously (to me) a major improvement in the publication, what does this say about <span style="font-style: italic">Hemmings</span> and the future of national want ad advertizing of cars and car parts? With eBay and the other sources online, are you spending as much in print solicitations and at swap meets as you used to? money.gif

i stopped getting hemmings a few years ago. yes, it's the "bible", but it's so much easier to goto ebay or autotrader than opening hemmings.

Personally i think hemmings has a great opportunity... become a true online resource. unfortunately their online site now is lacking.

peter

Guest BruceW

I stopped subscribing to Hemming last year..after being a subscriber since 1978. The reason didnt have so much to do with the ease of Ebay or other auctions. I still prefer the enjoyment of going to a swap meet. It was just that Hemmings was too big for me.

It got to the point where I would be looking for parts for one of the trucks or the 31 Ford... and that left over 500 pages that was of no use to me. I would occasionally scan through other cars for sale but I really wasnt in the market nor have the room for another one at this time. I think the last time Hemmings had an ad for something I actually needed and bought was back in the late 80s.

In the begigning I would wait for its arrival and spend that evening going through it. Eventually, it got to the point where it would sit a few days.. or weeks befre I opened it. I used to think it would be nice if there was some interesting articles to make the purchase price worthwhile, especially when there is nothing I need from the sale ads.

Based on the minscuile amount of pages that were useful for my needs, it did not make it worth paying the subscription price for another recycle item.

Guest Dave Mills

I stopped subscribing to Hemmings about five years ago. I just started to get the publication again because I was having trouble finding parts for my 1928 Plymouth through the other sources.

I let my subscription lapse about three years ago when I discovered three or four issues in my bookshelf still in the plastic mailing wrap. That was a wakeup call to stop wasting money. Now I go to the local newsstand about once or twice a year and buy a copy, but have not bought anything out of Hemmings for <span style="font-weight: bold">YEARS.</span>.

I have never bought from e-bay, but have bought from right here on our own Buy/Sell section and have sold there too. Hands on flea markets or face to face with sellers is still best in my opinion, but of course that method has its limits.

I wonder if the folks at Hemmings read forums like this? It could give them further insight into the direction of the hobby and their business, as in why some people no longer subscribe. But then, that's their problem, not ours.

hvs

I dropped my subscription this year as well. I find eBay to be a much better place to find what I need or sell what I don't. And $28/yr seems awfully high for a magazine that sells hundreds of pages of ads every month. I'd pay $15-20 a month for it -- similar to other magazine subscription rates - but now I'll just get a copy or two a year off the newsstand.

I still have the first issue of Hemmings that was given to me, the December 1962 issue. Back then you had to know someone in the hobby to get tiped off about this little monthly with "over 13,500 paid circulation last month" 6 x 8 1/2 with 888 pages for the YEAR! There were Fords for sale and Ford Parts For sale and NON Ford cars For sale with NON Ford Parts For sale as well. Things were simple back then. With eBay as a daily part of my life I can't see any need for Hemmings. Why wait all that time to place an ad in Hemmings? With eBay you can place an item for sale 24 hours a day 7 days a week and the whole world gets to see it within seconds. It never rains on eBay, and there is no mud.

Guest Kevin AZ

Hemmings needs to pay close attention to the 'modern' market or they too may perish just like the late but great, Packard Motor Car Company!

Kevin

Tucson, AZ

1955 Packard 400

grin.gif

I too have spent very little in Hemmings over the last few (computer semi-literate) years. Nothing if you do not count literature purchases.

However, I find that it is useful to peruse it even if I'm not buying. It is much easier and faster to guage what the parts and car market is doing when you have all that data laid out in front of you. That data does seem to be rapidly shrinking, however.

Also I think it may be a better place than eBay to sell items of limited appeal. How many 1960 Falcon sedans do you see selling for good money on eBay? (I sold mine in Hemmings back in '94, I probably couldn't have given it away otherwise.) I'd love to know how many times there are automotive searches on eBay for "Jordan" or "Lark".

I have bought <span style="font-style: italic">lots</span> of stuff on eBay, probably more than I should have. It isn't nearly as good as a flea market purchase, but there is <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> means of tracking a sellers rep (a tough thing to do in Hemmings). Also with eBay there is a chance to research the item for a few days before bidding. Flea market purchases are too often a take-it-or-leave-it one time shot, and I don't care how well you know your car there are things you need the books for.

I'd hate to see Hemmings go. frown.gif

I think the big plus for eBay is with small parts and literature. You can miss a lot of items speed walking through Hershey or other large flea markets. Hemmings word cost prevents listing a lot of small items. Many people are no longer collecting cars, automobila is very popular, you can fill a barn or a city apartment with it.

I discontinued my Hemmings subscription a couple of years ago. We give complimentary copies at our annual judged show, so I get one copy a year for free. In the sections of potential interest to me, there are mostly dealer ads. Only need one copy to keep track of them.

I have bought a lot of stuff on eBay; but in retrospect most of it was "stuff". For the really good items you pay a premium. Much of the material is misrepresented. I like the online vendors who give you a catalog of their merchandise. Order online today and UPS delivers tomorrow! This is the way of the future to my mind.

jnp

I thnk Hemmings needs to do some serious revamping of their online presence. I like the paper copy because it is easier to browse through finding things you either forgot about or never knew existed. The online version you need to know exactly what you're looking for to find it ... maybe. If they were to add a browse feature similar to eBay's, I could see that taking off. Browse by year or Mfg. It would be very easy to do.

John

I let my subscription run out last year and I agree with John, one copy a year is good for reference. It makes browsing the car market a little more leisurely than using the internet.

I have bought a fair amount off of ebay and more often than not felt like I spent to much for the condition of the item. Naturally that's my fault unless it's misrepresented. Once I had to return an item that (a) didn't fit application as sold and (B) was not the condition as advertised. Of course a lot of times it's not worth the time and expense to return to a seller and you're stuck with an item.

Yeah it's much harder to find items at the flea markets and you can miss a lot but it sure is nicer dealing face to face.

Way too dear in my opinion, great for reference but since my focus has changed most of my cars have come from Europe and Australia with parts manufd' there as well.