‘38 Special Column Shift

tyler searle

Personally, I think it would be more work than I would tackle. The best way to do it would probably be to buy a later (probably about 1940) Buick complete steering column, transmission, and other parts to transfer to your car.  The 1939 shifter and transmission was a one year only design and is more likely to cause future problems so I would avoid that year.  If you really want to do it, I would call Dave Tacheny to locate all of the necessary parts. You can best reach him by calling 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central. If I really wanted a column shift I would probably just sell the 1938 Buick and buy a 1940 Buick or later Buick.

35 minutes ago, tyler searle said:

Thanks everyone, yes, I would just get another tranny and steering column from a later car. I’ve got a ‘41 Special but it’s too nice to part out. Where  is  Dave Tacheny  from?

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts. He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460. You can also write him a letter. His address is 11949 Oregon Ave N., Champlin, MN 55316. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

You may also need to work on the torque tube-drive shaft is the length of a 1938 transmission is different to 1940 or later. 1940 and later were the same for several years.

Some projects may be desirable but in my opinion and hard learned experience the effort, expense, and result may not be justified-

good luck either way, but personally I would enjoy the ‘38 the way it was designed 

• Like 4