Underside of front bumper bad luck

Bertimus

Was driving back from a pricey tune-up (and other things), and an unexpected dip in the road does this to my front bumper 😢 

Really bummed to say the least.

Does any one know of any bumper gaurds that work for Reattas?

IMG-20210108-WA0001.jpeg

The Reatta does not have provisions for those.... the Reatta was not rated for towing because it takes extra brackets to add a trailer hitch in the rear. 

Also watch out for parking lot wheel stops.... some of them are tall enough to drag on the front. 

Show a photo of your front, taken a little further away..... you may be missing a lower spoiler.... can't see it in the picture you posted.  

• Thanks 1

I can see the top

of the plastic air dam in the photo. Barney is very correct about curbs and parking stops. The biggest cause of the rash on the bottom of the grill area is the long overhang in the front. It is approx. four feet from the center of the front tire contact patch to the tip of the bumper so any up and down movement is exaggerated or delayed. Happens to me regularly on my steep driveway apron😖

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

The Reatta does not have provisions for those.... the Reatta was not rated for towing because it takes extra brackets to add a trailer hitch in the rear. 

Also watch out for parking lot wheel stops.... some of them are tall enough to drag on the front. 

Show a photo of your front, taken a little further away..... you may be missing a lower spoiler.... can't see it in the picture you posted.  

Barney, here is a front view picture. Can you show me a picture of a Reatta with the lower spoiler?

IMG-20201205-WA0015.jpg

The "long nose" was common in some GM lines in the 80s to reduce drag and provide room for the "energy absorbing bumper" pistons. Fiero is same, Cadillac didn't bother. Since Reatta is relatively short overall is a good idea to stop before the nose going over a curb.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

I can see the top

of the plastic air dam in the photo. Barney is very correct about curbs and parking stops. The biggest cause of the rash on the bottom of the grill area is the long overhang in the front. It is approx. four feet from the center of the front tire contact patch to the tip of the bumper so any up and down movement is exaggerated or delayed. Happens to me regularly on my steep driveway apron😖

It is heartbreaking! At least the Reatta community camaraderie makese feel better, thank you for sharing. 

What do you usually do about it? How to you approach a fix?

1 minute ago, padgett said:

The "long nose" was common in some GM lines in the 80s to reduce drag and provide room for the "energy absorbing bumper" pistons. Fiero is same, Cadillac didn't bother. Since Reatta is relatively short overall is a good idea to stop before the nose going over a curb.

I will definitely be diligent about this from now on, thanks for the tip!

3 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Turns out I do have one!

20210109_085724.jpg