Control arm bushing tool

MajD

Is there a tool to remove the upper control arm bushings?  Mine are in good shape, but i would like to remove them for cleaning and to refurbish the control arm bracket.  If there is not a tool, how do you get the bushings out?  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

MajD

What I use is a hydraulic 'puller' made from a Harbor Freight hydraulic 'knock out' punch set for electricians.  The shank is 3/4" so I cut the head off a 2" fine thread bolt, put in it the lathe to drill & tap to 1/2" fine thread and make 1/2" shafts from grade 8 allthread.  For control arm bushings it needs to be quite long, 8" I'd guess.  Then you make a fixture to pull the bushing into, the 1/2" shaft passes thru it, thru the control arm bushing and you top it off with a washer the size of the bushing and a nut.  Pump the pump and it pull the busting right on thru into the cup fixture.  EasyPeasy.  You reverse it to pull new bushings back in.  I've got all kinds of fixtures I made for mine.

Be happy to take some pics of it if you don't understand.

Sorry for the vagueness and incorrect terminology.  It is the 39 plymouth I'm working on, and it's actually the rubber ring on the upper control arm and not the threaded steel end pieces.  If it's not the actual bushing, is it a dust seal?  Whatever it is, is there any way to get it off the threaded shaft of the upper control arm bracket without destroying it?  Thanks.

Unless I missed something, pg 40 of the manual says "Assemble the bushing to the dimensions shown in figures 18 or 19" for the 39 model.  I cannot find anywhere in the manual that explains how to install or remove the rubber pieces or the control arm bracket into the control arm.  You could cut the rubber to remove them, but they are larger than the hole in the control arm, and would have to be compressed somehow to install, since the bracket must be in place for at least the second one.  So is there a tool or method folks use to do this, or am I missing something in the manual?  Maybe in the day the factory replacements were assembled and just needed adjustment to the specs in 18 and 19 when installed?  Thanks.

MajD