TCC E039 Code

bikemikey

About 1500 miles ago I was having trouble with a TCC solenoid. I tried some Trans tune then had the fluid change with another additive. No problems since that fluid change but I'm afraid the problem is back. I think it is time to change out the solenoid. I was wondering , is there a certain speed I can stay under without kicking in the solenoid in case of an emergency. I also looked at the manual but it not too clear on replacement of the solenoid. Looking down at the rear of the transmission there is a bolted pan on the end of the trans. I assume the TCC solenoid is inside there. There is also a trans mount surrounding  the pan. To me it looks like you would have to pull the engine to get to the pan. I also read some articles that you can lower the trans. I called a mechanic I know, he said take it to a transmission shop, he did not want any part of it, so I don't know. Appreciate any suggestions  . Thanks 

What problem are you having with the TCC other than getting a code E039? You could unplug the electrical connector going to the transmission to disable it and keep it from locking up but you will still get a code 39 and probably some others. The transmission will still shift just fine with the connector unplugged. Just no converter lockup.

I should have mention there was also an E034 Maf sensor code in history when I checked it when I got back. What happen was that I was going up a hill and noticed a little roughness. Eventually it cleared out and I got back home. I assumed the trans was acting up but I could be wrong. I noticed there was some corrosion on the positive side of the battery, so I cleaned it, now all the codes are gone. I'm wondering if it is a Maf problem, but why would it throw an E039 code. Both codes where history when I checked it with engine off. Thanks 

Do you show continuity on the TCC connector ? It is just a solenoid so the internals (a coil) should only fail open. If sticking the Seafoam TransTune should have helped. See the tests for ES01 in section 6E-3. I'd probably put on my lift to run test with tires off the ground or, if driving, have a passenger operate the override since must be in 3rd or 4th to use..

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. I went ahead and cleaned the Maf sensor. The code went away but it then came back about after three minutes.  So I  went ahead and installed a new Maf sensor,  the code went away immediately . I drove the car around the block so far so good. Although,  I read on the internet that you should disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes so that the commuter can relearn the new sensor. Is that really necessary? Thanks

The ecm will figure it out eventually, so battery disconnect is not required, in my opinion. It probably speeds up the process if it relearns everything simultaneously but sensor performance changes over time, so it’s always adjusting something 😉