Towing with a dolly

avantey

So we have a new adventure and looking for some advice.  We are about to do a seasonal move and need to move three vehicles part of the way with two drivers.  My idea is to rent a tow dolly one way for that part of the trip.  I have never used a dolly but heard lots of stories over the years.  Many include damage from the car moving on the dolly , especially when turning and the dolly fenders hitting the car fenders.  I would tow with my F250 PS diesel pulling a small car on the dolly.  The trip will be about 650 miles in one day with about half on interstates, the rest on local roads (2 and 4 lane).

What do I need to know?  Will my straps work for tie down or should I use over the tire straps?  Are the straps all that holds the car in place?  What about taillights on the towed vehicle?  Do the magnetic type come with the dolly?  What else do I not know? 

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

I tow dollied a Willys FC170 about 400 miles one time out of necessity, because my U-Haul reserved and paid for trailer was not were it was supposed to be. The U-Haul dealer could not be inconvenienced to have one brought in from another dealer and none were available in the area by then. Had to fight them for a refund.

My first problem was the over the wheel straps were not long enough for the tires on the FC. I wrapped them around the axel and started out. I had to tighten the straps every 10 miles or so for the first hundred miles till all the stretch was out. Then I didn't feel safe at over about 45 mph. It was a long trip. I have never used a dolly since and have never rented anything from U-Haul again.

I would say if you have to, use over the wheel straps and plan on a slower trip.

Thank you Larry and Jim,

You have reinforced all the bad I have ever (and only) heard about dollies.  I do tow with my own open and closed trailers so the Ford is not an issue.  This case is for a one way transport so I can bring a new trailer home on the return.  The trailer rental is about 3X the dolly price with UH but I may reconsider.  I would be much more comfortable with a trailer even though it is not mine.  Thank you both for your thoughts,

Bill

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 8:04 PM, Jim Bollman said:

I tow dollied a Willys FC170 about 400 miles one time out of necessity, because my U-Haul reserved and paid for trailer was not were it was supposed to be. The U-Haul dealer could not be inconvenienced to have one brought in from another dealer and none were available in the area by then. Had to fight them for a refund.

My first problem was the over the wheel straps were not long enough for the tires on the FC. I wrapped them around the axel and started out. I had to tighten the straps every 10 miles or so for the first hundred miles till all the stretch was out. Then I didn't feel safe at over about 45 mph. It was a long trip. I have never used a dolly since and have never rented anything from U-Haul again.

I would say if you have to, use over the wheel straps and plan on a slower trip.

We also had an issue with a local U-Haul dealer in Natchitoches, Louisiana when the reserved trailer for moving our grandson cross country to start Grad School, went out to the guy just ahead of me (for a one day use). The dealer had a "clunker" available and said "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT"

I phoned U-Haul's national customer service and they found me a new one just across town !