Reatta oil filter adaptor

Barney Eaton

CORRECTION

The Winter issue of the Reatta newsletter is out and if you are a Reatta Division member will have yours soon. 

The article I wrote on oil filter adaptor  is wrong,  and give the incorrect part number ..........

I suggest using 12569220 on your Reatta in the article so you can use the longer PF52 filter...

the 12569220 adaptor is used on 3800 GM cars but they have a different sub frame and if used on the Reatta only the short filter will work. 

The correct adaptor is  24500345  which is incorrectly identified in the article as the 1988-1990 adaptor, but is actually the one that will allow you to use the PF52 filter. 

In the attached picture 24500345 is on the left but incorrectly identified,  it is the one you need. 

I suggested the one on the right (12569220) which will fit but the sub-frame on the Reatta is in the way and you cannot use the long PF52 filter.

I will ask Elizabeth to rerun the article with the correct information. 

adaptors 3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Barney for the update.  So, can the 24500345 adaptor be used on all years Reattas?  I have a '91 and would like to use the longer oil filter.

Where can I buy this adaptor?  Checked eBay but no dice.

Edited by dship (see edit history)

Dave.... since you have a 1991,  we do not know at what point GM/Buick made the adaptor change, you can use the long PF52 filter on either in 1991. 

The early adaptor is just a pain to change the filter and the clean up is greater. 

Anyone with a 1991.........let me know your vin number and which filter adaptor your car has... I will somehow try to log that on the database and estimate when the change was made. 

Presently we know that 901008 had the early design

901112 had the late design...

With a little more input we can get closer to the vin when it was changed. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

My '91 VIN is 900183...mfg'd 12/1990....so it has the early design and the filter sits at an angle.  I've always used the shorter filter, but its good to know that the longer filter would not be a problem to use.  As you wrote, just more of a messy cleanup.  Thanks for the info, Barney. 

Jim Finn put on his heavy coat and snapped this photo of a 1988-1990 oil filter adaptor still on an engine that is out of the car. 

He is going to wire brush the housing so he can see the casting number.   It is not a great picture but you can get an idea of 

the difference between the shape of it and the one that will allow using the long filter.   One noticeable difference is the oil pressure

sending unit location. 

early1.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Definitely have that the one at an angle on my 91. VIN 900068. What way do most people take this out? I was going to do an oil change today but I couldn’t get at it with the oil wrench I had. I think a socket type would be better. 

734BF957-7583-4900-B052-47A1DE86CAAB.jpeg

E22176D9-D6A1-4303-9CC9-2D8A39DE4A23.jpeg

First that is a very good picture of the early 1991 oil filter .... note the (plastic) tray under it that catches the oil that spills and funnels it to one drip location. 

I always changed mine from the top... but you cannot change it that way when the engine is hot or you burn your arm on the exhaust..  also watch out for 

screws sticking out of the firewall.    Never had it so tight I needed a tool.