Wheels for a 1964 Ford Wagon

Michigan Don

This has proven a difficult question for me to answer so looking for any advice.

Looking to determine if a set of wheels will fit my 1964 Ford Country Squire.

Stock is 8.0-14"
I want to put on 17x7 wheels with 215/65 R17 on the back and 225/65 R17 in the rear.
The wheels I've looked at are 17x7 with 0 offset with a 4" backspace.
Some wheel sites will say they will fit, others say they won't.
Will these wheels work? My concern is hitting the ball joints or suspension. Seems like a lot of room with the 14" wheels that are on it but would appreciate your advice.
The car is sitting on the original 14s but one is dry rotted and so I can take it anywhere to have someone look at it.

Thanks.

Size isn't as important as backspacing. Can you remove an original wheel and measure the backspacing? To do that, place a straight edge across the back rim of the wheel and measure the distance from the hub face to the straight edge. Essentially, that tells you where the tires will be positioned in relation to the hub--how far they will protrude or be tucked in. Get it right, and the 17s should clear. Get it wrong and they'll either rub on the fenders or hit suspension components. The only way to know for sure is to test fit a wheel on the car but if you can't do that, then some measurements should at least get you close.

Hope this helps.

21 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Size isn't as important as backspacing. Can you remove an original wheel and measure the backspacing? To do that, place a straight edge across the back rim of the wheel and measure the distance from the hub face to the straight edge. Essentially, that tells you where the tires will be positioned in relation to the hub--how far they will protrude or be tucked in. Get it right, and the 17s should clear. Get it wrong and they'll either rub on the fenders or hit suspension components. The only way to know for sure is to test fit a wheel on the car but if you can't do that, then some measurements should at least get you close.

Hope this helps.

I took off the front 14" original and it has a 3.5" backspace. The new ones I want to buy are 4" (0 offset). I also placed the new wheel-less tire in the fender well with the axle more or less centered and there was still a lot of room all around (with the 14" in the driving position I measured >10" clearance above the tire). I realize that the car will be lower once it is totally off the jack. The backs fender clearance is the same. The tire width difference between the 14s and the 17s is < 1" and there is plenty of inner fender clearance.

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks again for the advice.

The higher offset will push the wheels farther inboard but half an inch isn't much. Your biggest concern might be whether the tire rubs the inner fender or the suspension or the tie rods on the inside. You'll obviously be using some low-profile tires so aim to keep the overall diameter more or less the same and it should work out. You won't know for sure until it's all together and sitting at ride height, but even if it rubs at full lock, you don't really spend much time at full lock so it may not matter. 

• 2 weeks later...