Bonded brake shoes

zeke01

I am in the process of refreshing the brakes on my 1933 Dodge. The car had set dormant for several years and the brakes need attention. What I have discovered is that the bond between the brake shoes and lining have failed. Two out of four wheels have linings which have separated from the shoe. I am more comfortable with riveted shoes but they are less common than bonded shoes. What are your experiences with brake shoes? Any failures?

I've had brake shoes relined in both the woven and the sold, asbestos like material with no issues.

But then again, the cars didn't sit for years and years between times the brakes were used.

I have the brake shoes -- brand new -- with NO CORES required....

Verify 10" x 2" Front & Rear.... An occasional rare Dodge has the 

11" x 2" of the Chrysler, DeSoto world (I have them, also...)

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935...

New York....

How old were those bonded shoes? Many years ago (40 to 50), bonding shoes wasn't quite up to par yet, and bonded shoes sometimes failed. If those early ones sat a long time? Separating wouldn't surprise me. I still like riveted shoes, however, haven't had trouble with bonded shoes in a long time. (Excepting for the time I just mentioned in the Classics Aesthetics vs Engineering thread?) Basically, I would have no fears of using bonded linings today, provided they are well done.

Very important! If you get riveted linings, MAKE CERTAIN that the rivets are really BRASS! NOT brass plated steel! Steel rivets, brass plated or not, WILL RUST! The rust will flake off, and embed into the lining! Iron oxide is a serious abrasive. Embedded iron oxide in effect becomes a grinding stone. Years ago, I saw about a dozen brake drums destroyed by steel rivets. A few, cut clear through what were very nice drums resulting in total brake failure.

• Like 1