73 riviera body bushings

joefromaz

hey all, hoping someone  could help..

i have a 73 riviera  & in the rear wheel well there a body bushing at the top...when i changed  out my rear springs i had 2 jack stands holding up the car in front of the rear wheels & i noticed the bushing on the right side was loose. I  dont see any bolt to tighten....How do you tighten that bushing?...Is the bolt missing? or am i missing something....if anyone  can help, i would really appreciate  it.....thanks for your time....

If its the body mount above axle it should never be loose even if the bolt is missing because this is a main mount and there is significant weight on it......unless the body flange where the rubber contacts is rotted away or the rubber itself it totally disintegrated? All the mounts have large bolts to secure them and these bolts don't come loose in fact just the opposite, they rust in place. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

When I replaced the mounts on my 64, the bolts came out from the bottom. They thread into the frame (or a cage nut welded to the frame.) Looks like you're in for some good times.  Stock up on your favorite bourbon, go to mass a couple of extra times, and buy a big box of Band-aids. And wear your PPE mask so the kids won't learn any new words.

38 minutes ago, joefromaz said:

lol...i know its not fun....i dont have a lift....is it that hard to change all the body bushings on jack stands....if so, procedure?....

Leave the body on the frame, loosen, but don't remove all the bolts, use a floor jack to lift the body away from the frame. Do the one over the axle first, then use that one as a fulcrum to lift the front and the back.  At least that's how we did it on my 64.

thanks for your time..I'll call them......i got the car back up & was investigating  a little further....there seems to be a cut in a rubber plug or something....dont know if its part of the mount or a plug....i took a pic of the plug & i used a camera  to look inside the the hole & this is what  I  see....is there a bolt missing? thanks so much for your patience....

20201007_104256.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a Chassis Service manual?  If yes, there should be a section on Frame and Body mounts. If you do not have a manual its the best money you can spend to get one. Doing some research, I believe that particular mount over the axle is a cushion type "rest" only and not a bolted mount and its probably the only one on the car that's not bolted. Once you posted the picture it spiked my curiosity as I had never noticed it on my 71 or 73.   

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

On 10/7/2020 at 2:22 PM, joefromaz said:

thanks for your time..I'll call them......i got the car back up & was investigating  a little further....there seems to be a cut in a rubber plug or something....dont know if its part of the mount or a plug....i took a pic of the plug & i used a camera  to look inside the the hole & this is what  I  see....is there a bolt missing? thanks so much for your patience....

20201007_104256.jpg

I checked my 71 today, that is a rubber cover for a insulator. I have attached a copy from the 72 assembly manual, as you can see where it is and there is no bolt. the diagram shows where the bolts are.

Robert Bonto

P1040900.JPG

• Like 1