For Sale: 1962 Mercury Comet S22 - $4,500 - Gardner, CO - Not Mine

For Sale: 1962 Mercury Comet S22- $4,500 - Gardner, CO

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/gardner-1962-mercury-comet/7195416455.html

Selling my 2 door Comet S22. New tires, exhaust, gas tank and brakes. Asking $4500 of offer. 200 6-cylinder engine and 3 speed on the column. Runs great!! Bucket seats and console.

Copy and paste in your email:  88b629b08b1c3a95b5ab41863fd48bde@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this For Sale: 1962 Mercury Comet S22 two door coupe.

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO a.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO b.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO c.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO d.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO e.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO f.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO g.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO h.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO i.jpg

'62 Mercury Comet S22 CO j.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, For 1962, a "Mercury Comet", not just a "Comet".   High plains Colorado cars tend to be nice, solid rust-free chassis, worth the trouble and expense to get.  Check out the taillight lens, they're recycled from a prior Lincoln model.

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Yes, For 1962, a "Mercury Comet", not just a "Comet".  

Oh, that's right...I recall that the Comet was - for a year or two - a model without a brand or something. How did that work? I don't believe it was it's own brand within FoMoCo, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the reminder about the Comet history.

24 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Oh, that's right...I recall that the Comet was - for a year or two - a model without a brand or something. How did that work? I don't believe it was it's own brand within FoMoCo, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the reminder about the Comet history.

Initially, for 1960, it was to be 'Edsel Comet'.  When the decision was made to drop the Edsel, it became simply 'Comet'.   Lincoln-Mercury dealerships had received Edsel franchises with the 1959 reorganization into the Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln Division, and Comet was the upmarket 'senior compact' off the Falcon platform for M-E-L dealerships to sell. 

For years after 'Comet' was supplanted by Montego and those that supplanted it, a yellow 'Comet' neon sign glowed in Molyneaux Lincoln-Mercury dealership, Dansville, NY.  'Comet' just never returned.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

Initially, for 1960, it was to be 'Edsel Comet'.  When the decision was made to drop the Edsel, it became simply 'Comet'.   Lincoln-Mercury dealerships had received Edsel franchises with the 1959 reorganization into the Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln Division, and Comet was the upmarket 'senior compact' off the Falcon platform for M-E-L dealerships to sell. 

For years after 'Comet' was supplanted by Montego and those that supplanted it, a yellow 'Comet' neon sign glowed in Molyneaux Lincoln-Mercury dealership, Dansville, NY.  'Comet' just never returned.

In 1968 & '69, it was simply downgraded to a model name for the base level Montego. The Comet took a one-year hiatus in 1970; then it returned from 1971-'77 as the Mercury version of the Maverick. 

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...