Noobie and his '39 Century

C-Lamb

On 12/8/2022 at 10:40 PM, C-Lamb said:

Thanks Mark, that was my understanding of the process.  That's a bunch of 80 year old fasteners to get apart and replace - I'm sure there will be some part of unobtainium mixed in there too.   And once I get that far, I should probably drop the transmission and clean it, check the clutch system out and replace the rear main seal... at which point I will have converted my running / driving vehicle to a kit, which I'm trying to avoid by tackling small projects. 

Since mine wasn't vibrating noticeably yet, is there anything I can do given condition of my boot to protect it, like packing with grease and patching with a piece of inner tube? No way to replace the boot w/out dropping the axle etc?   I'll contact Bob's and see what the have.  I think Steele Rubber had some too. 

Looks like Bob's still has them $450 including $150 core charge. 

"No way to replace the boot w/out dropping the axle etc?"  I once asked the late Earl Beauchamp (AKA Dynaflash8) this same question.  He said the "easiest" way is to disconnect the rear shock links, torque tube bolts, torque ball bolts, and brake lines then ratchet back the axel.  Earl gave me the following advice, based on the pic below of my split torque ball boot:  "But, that said, if it is like that on the outside, it's probably steel to steel on the inside and you might actually need that new inner torque ball.  Matter of fact the way the outside looks you may even need the outer torque ball.  You don't want there to be any scoring on either of the steel parts. READ THE BOOKS FIRST.  That front shaft has to fall slowly, repeat slowly after it's all put back together."   

If it were my car, I'd attempt a patch to the boot as you suggested, AND start looking now for the driveline parts you may need someday.  Shims and boot are available new. NOS torque balls, universal joints, Hyatt bearing assemblies, and seals, these parts do come up for sale occasionally.  

image.png.ad3ef246e59b475f69fd09e1b7490f8e.png

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, markewebb '39 Buick Team said:

"No way to replace the boot w/out dropping the axle etc?"  I once asked the late Earl Beauchamp (AKA Dynaflash8) this same question.  He said the "easiest" way is to disconnect the rear shock links, torque tube bolts, torque ball bolts, and brake lines then ratchet back the axel.  Earl gave me the following advice, based on the pic below of my split torque ball boot:  "But, that said, if it is like that on the outside, it's probably steel to steel on the inside and you might actually need that new inner torque ball.  Matter of fact the way the outside looks you may even need the outer torque ball.  You don't want there to be any scoring on either of the steel parts. READ THE BOOKS FIRST.  That front shaft has to fall slowly, repeat slowly after it's all put back together."   

If it were my car, I'd attempt a patch to the boot as you suggested, AND start looking now for the driveline parts you may need someday.  Shims and boot are available new. NOS torque balls, universal joints, Hyatt bearing assemblies, and seals, these parts do come up for sale occasionally.  

Any suggestions if I should fill the boot with grease or anything like that, or just try to close it up to keep the dirt out?

2 hours ago, C-Lamb said:

Any suggestions if I should fill the boot with grease or anything like that, or just try to close it up to keep the dirt out?

Your torque ball friend :)-->   https://forums.aaca.org/topic/389949-1939-buick-40-series-torque-ball-mounts-boot-and-a-heater/#comment-2467360

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markewebb '39 Buick Team said:

The seals, parts AO on the diagram from pg 126-A of the Master Parts Book, will probably be the hardest to find.   The front seal group # 5.469 1308321 and the rear # 5.469 1308322.  In the past, some have found suitable seals, if anyone knows of suitable seals, please share that information.  

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm afraid of, it's a literal can of worms filled with hard to find parts.  For now, I think I'll just try to seal it up to keep dirt out, once I finish the front stabilizer link replacement (and maybe bushings if I can find them, first set doesn't seem quite right).

And thank you for the great pointers and part numbers!! 

Edited by C-Lamb (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Front end disassembled, shocks sent off to Apple, we'll see what happens next. 

New stabilizer bar links in hand via e-bay.  Looks like many modern cars use the same part?

As others have noted, stabilizer to frame bushing are welded up - mine seem sufficient, so I guess I'll work with those for now. 

Lower control arms removed, so cleaning those and related parts is the next challenge, hopefully back together in a few weeks... we'll see. 

• Like 1