1935 Auburn Speedster parts missing after Restoration anyone have some ?

Mark Gregory

No and this is an interesting point: the number is about that, I recall 230. It would have been more popular maybe but was not available with Ram Air (or any GTO because all had RA) because both options used the same knob under the dash. Pontiac never tooled for two knobs. The one ad (driving through a drive-in restaurant) has the knob is visible in one shot.

From what I have read the voe was available on GTO's with standard motors, thus the 233 count. It was not available with the ram air high perfomance motors because of lack of vaccum, had nothing to do with the knobs. The car in the original commercial (I think it only aired once during the super bowl) was somewhat 'hacked' together as it was a pre-production model, using the same knob. Typing from memory of reading an article in Smoke Signals about the car.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 6:58 AM, padgett said:

No and this is an interesting point: the number is about that, I recall 230. It would have been more popular maybe but was not available with Ram Air (or any GTO because all had RA) because both options used the same knob under the dash. Pontiac never tooled for two knobs. The one ad (driving through a drive-in restaurant) has the knob is visible in one shot.

The update on the restoration of the superbowl ad car in this month's (Oct 2020) GTO Association of America newsletter says the motor is a RAIV.  Maybe they only put RA in the pilot car?

Not saying it couldn't be added, just that it was not a factory option with Ram Air (RA and RAIV, was no RA III) because they never tooled a seperate bracket for production (if you watch the drive in the one TV advt, there were two knobs but the bracket never made production. You had to choose between the VOE and the RA. Note the decals do not line up). Is one of the more esoteric things in Pontiac lore.

gtoad.jpg