New Car show platform

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback and thoughts on a new car show web platform where you can host either fully virtual events or hybrid ones where the show happens in person and all the cars are showcased online for people to see who can't make it.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what they like, don't like or just general comments on the site and concept. Is there something you'd want to see? Could you see yourself using this to check out cool shows you can't go to? Do you hate it? I'm open to any and all feedback.

I know car shows are made for in-person and I def don't want to change that. However, this platform is geared to allow people who can't make an event or live elsewhere to still enjoy the show more than they otherwise would be able to. We're still really early and it would be invaluable to have a few key people who want to play a big part in guiding where the product goes from here. If you think that sounds like you, please reach out. We could discuss various options such as featuring you on our as our early supporters or even bring you in as an advisor depending on your level of commitment and ability!

You can see the few events we've done in Houston here (2 are with mostly newer cars and there's one classic show so far, but hope to have more!):
Topmarq: https://www.topmarq.com/events/

Thanks in advance!

Not something that I think the AACA Club would support if New Cars are included. AACA policy would strictly reject cars less the 25 years old be included in AACA Events. I think you would be better off starting and organizing a new Club, not affiliated with AACA. One that would be run more like a Curse In for people with newer cars, or Modified Cars of any year and model.  Suggest that you see if there is an interest with other local car clubs to join together to make it happen.  

Good luck in you quest, make it happen. 

19 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

Not something that I think the AACA Club would support if New Cars are included. AACA policy would strictly reject cars less the 25 years old be included in AACA Events. I think you would be better off starting and organizing a new Club, not affiliated with AACA. One that would be run more like a Curse In for people with newer cars, or Modified Cars of any year and model.  Suggest that you see if there is an interest with other local car clubs to join together to make it happen.  

Good luck in you quest, make it happen. 

Hey Doug,

I appreciate the response. That definitely makes sense as AACA only focuses on old cars. However, you could easily create a virtual show that only allowed cars that fit this description. In fact, most organizations I'm speaking with are classic car focused. 

Always depends on how define that so often misused term "classic car."  I don't see a lot of AACA folks flocking to this idea. Do you intend to also report on swap meets?  

Terry

• Like 1

Hey Terry, 

You're definitely right! The classics fans don't seem too excited about the concept. It's interesting that there is a bit of a lining based on the types of cars someone enjoys. I hadn't specifically been thinking about swap meets so far but it's definitely something to consider. Are you thinking in terms of being able to see what might be available at the swap meet? 

Yes. There are a lot of swap meets around, and some are not much more than junk markets with piles of make in China tools,  yard-sale stuff like jewelry and cosmetics added to fill empty spaces.  They advertise "hundreds of spaces" but when you get there, those spaces are filled with T-shirt vendors, souvenir stands and darned few actual old car parts vendors.  A video preview would be great to see so we don't waste time looking for real antique car parts among piles of modern mag wheels and stuff rescued yesterday from the local modern scrap yard. 

Terry

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Yes. There are a lot of swap meets around, and some are not much more than junk markets with piles of make in China tools,  yard-sale stuff like jewelry and cosmetics added to fill empty spaces.  They advertise "hundreds of spaces" but when you get there, those spaces are filled with T-shirt vendors, souvenir stands and darned few actual old car parts vendors.  A video preview would be great to see so we don't waste time looking for real antique car parts among piles of modern mag wheels and stuff rescued yesterday from the local modern scrap yard. 

Terry

That's interesting! Thanks for the comment - we might be able to do something for that. Sounds like it'd be pretty irritating, especially if it's far away.

6 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

The Cadillac & LaSalle club currently has a virtual car show going on RIGHT NOW.

https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/virtualcarshow

I set it up on a site called:  shortstack.com 

Wow thats pretty cool! Definitely the most sophisticated home grown system I've seen. Looks like it does pretty much what you need. Did they have a limit on the number of photos?

40 minutes ago, htownchillin said:

Wow thats pretty cool! Definitely the most sophisticated home grown system I've seen. Looks like it does pretty much what you need. Did they have a limit on the number of photos?

This particular show is 1 photo per car. But the software has more depth than that.

20 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Promotion! - our our club website.  Social media, and email.

Nice! Well it seems to work.

Quick question if you don't mind - how much did they charge you to set that up? Also, let me know if you ever have another one and want to talk about options :) 

1 hour ago, htownchillin said:

Nice! Well it seems to work.

Quick question if you don't mind - how much did they charge you to set that up? Also, let me know if you ever have another one and want to talk about options :) 

I set it up.  the Club pays $100 a month for the 2 months it will be live.

1 hour ago, DAVE A said:

By the way the show was VERY successful and we added a bunch of new members because of it.  

That's really cool, thanks for sharing! Well done with the event. I'm impressed with the level of participation and glad to hear new people joined up.

Would love to see it on the platform if you do it again ;) . Would give everyone a bit more flexibility in terms of their posts and color around the car. 

1 hour ago, DAVE A said:

I'm afraid it wont work for a judged show like we in AACA do. 

That's totally understandable - some events are structured differently!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 5:38 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

The Cadillac & LaSalle club currently has a virtual car show going on RIGHT NOW.

https://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/virtualcarshow

The Cadillac and LaSalle Club's show (collection of pictures)

is interesting to view.  Many of the pictures are well composed,

even of magazine quality.  However, I would strongly suggest for

future occurrences, that MANY pictures of each car be posted.

Make it a strong recommendation, or even a requirement,

that certain aspects of the car are to be pictured, and give

entrants leeway for extra detailed shots as well.

When we go to a car show, we don't want to see a car

merely from 20 feet away.  If we are interested, we want to

see the dashboard, the upholstery, the engine, and so on.

Having ample pictures of each car will make a virtual show

more interesting.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

On 9/25/2020 at 3:56 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Having ample pictures of each car will make a virtual show

more interesting.

Agreed although I think the show was done quite nicely, especially compared to some of the others I saw. More pics, videos, and background is always appreciated though :)