Locomobile 8 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Never thought much of President Harding..........till I saw his Loco!

I believe that was the White House's garage at the time. I would have thought there would be other photos of the car up close but I have yet to see them.

To jest, his successor downgraded when he was inaugurated in a Pierce!

In all seriousness I am not sure if the chief executive took it home with him after office as a perk. Similarly, I was trying to understand General Pershing's continued use of Locos, including the Sportif, attributed to him and auctioned a few years back, after the war. For some reason the Army ignored my FOIA request.....

Coolidge-Inaugural-Parade.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alsfarms said:

What is the year of this photograph?

Al

Al, the one I posted is courtesy the Library of Congress, 1923. Ed's has been publicly available but I forget from where and I am not immediately sure if a specific date is attributed or just from Harding's time.

• Like 1

I think that's it. Coolidge actually was fond of Lincoln and had at least two, Hoover had a Hudson U and Cadillac V16. FDR started with Packard and then back to Lincoln with his last at The Henry Ford on display. I think though before FDR there was blending of personal and White House pool vehicles. It would be neat if someone could research and clarify this.

Photo was 1919…….US Signals Corps.

I had never seen it published before. I got it from the national archives.

Pierce Arrow had a special deal with the executive branch for quite a while. Something like 1924 to 1938. One dollar per years lease on all seven Presidential Pierce Arrows.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

A somewhat crude effort to make the unusual advertisement for replacement updated sedan bodies for earlier models more legible.  One supposes this promotion was an effort to liquidate leftover inventory when production ceased.     

'30 Locomobile - new body advertisement.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Sad 8-80 had its cylinders separated from the crankcase today. Cleaning, checking for cracks and measuring will be up next. At the very least valves, pistons, and gaskets will be needed.

Ben

P5250001.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, three of the pistons had to be taken out in pieces, the rest were just tight. The 8-80 is a Lycoming flathead while the JR 8 has overhead valves, very little, if anything in common.

Ben

• Like 1

Hello Ben, You mentioned the difference in radiator caps a while ago. Please refresh my memory, what is the difference between the 90 and the 48? I now have in hand the brass material to make the threaded insert in preparation to casting the high temp epoxy to form the modern equivalent of Bakelite and a complete cap.

Al

Hi Al,

The 48 Loco radiator filler neck has internal threads while the 90 and 8-80 radiator filler neck have external threads. The Bakelite portion of the cap is similar if not identical.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ben,

I noticed over on the Locomobile Facebook group a new posting from a new Locomobile 8-80 owner who is looking for help with knowledge and also parts. Check out that posting, maybe you can help him out, one way or the other. What is the latest on your 8-80 engine rebuild?

Al