Why do Sellers Cover License Plates

Green37

On 8/7/2020 at 1:40 AM, 1935Packard said:

I suspect people cover over license plates out of fear that someone could go to the DMV and get someone's personal info -- like their name and address, telephone #, SSN#, and picture -- from their license plate number.  If you're going to make a picture public, the thinking ran, you were telling the world that you had this nice car that they could find at your home. But if this was ever a real concern, it's long outdated:  In 1994,  Congress enacted the Drivers Privacy Protection Act, which blocks DMVs from giving out any personal information without the person's consent. 

Just in case some here do not know, modern technology has made it VERY, VERY EASY to find a nice car at a person's home. For at least the last 8+ years or so  smartphones have been able to include the Latitude and Longitude of where a photo was taken. If you do not TURN OFF those settings it includes the information with every picture you take. 

A few years ago someone sent me a photo of their vehicle that they wanted me to post on-line for them. When I checked the photo, sure enough the photo had that information attached to it. In less than 30 seconds I was able you use that information to locate the EXACT location where the photo was taken using google (his driveway at home). The photo and the image from Google matched perfectly and Google provided this person's EXACT home address where he had taken the photo. After I found the location information I contacted him to make him aware that he might want to change his iPhone's settings (Android does this too) to prevent location data from being attached to his photos. Before I posted the photo on-line for him I removed the location data from his photo.

Yes, Congress might have closed the door to DMVs giving out personal information but technology has kept a HUGE overhead door WIDE OPEN and UNLOCKED for those who are not aware.

BTW, last night after I read this thread I turned the location information back on in my smartphone and took a photo (I was at home). I was able to determine my exact home address in under 15 seconds. Bottom line is if you are concerned about location information like this being attached to photographs you take, there are ways to turn it off if you choose to do so. If you are not comfortable with technology, seek out a child or grandchild for help or a technically inclined friend. If all else fails go to the store where you purchased your smartphone and ask for help.

Charlie

• Like 3

Why I use a digital camera. Have 3 Canon SD780ISes now (silver, red, and black). Original telephoto stopped working after dropped but still fine for stills. Two others are fine 12.1 MP and closeup plus movie. USB connection to PC. Same battery and charger. Going for about $20 on eBay now.