Stromberg models EE-2, and EE-22

carbking

The Stromberg EE-2, and the revised EE-22 cause lots of folks confusion.

Stromberg only made 3 different model EE-2 carburetors.

Stromberg made 58 different models of EE-22 carburetors.

Two major identity issues, plus a service issue:

(1) Most O.E. literature refers to the carburetors my model ONLY, not by identification number. 

(2) For some reason which I have NEVER been able to find the cause; Stromberg EE-22's made in 1933 have EE-2 cast on the bowl! The 1934 and newer castings have EE-22 cast on the end of the bowl; AS DOES THE BOWL USED ON AN EE-23.

It is quite easy to determine if the carbs marked EE-2 are really EE-2's or if they are EE-22's. The fuel valve on the EE-2 is on the side of the bowl (like the EE-1, and the mis-named Stromberg "97" which is actually a Ford version of the EE-1). Thus, the float in an EE-2 will have the hinge on one end. All of the EE-22's, whether they have a cast EE-2 or EE-22, have the fuel inlet on the end of the bowl; and the float hinge is in the center of the float.

Without pulling a lot of prints, I know there are at least 5 different internal venturii sizes of the EE-22 bowls; plus there are a number of different linkages, some of the air horns are right angle rather than straight, and of course Chrysler has the "backwards" (at least backwards to all of the others) choke. And the above is why there are 58 different models.

As a general rule, one should NOT attempt to change a bowl from one model to another.

(3) The bowl is the MAJOR issue with the carburetor; as this design was Stromberg's first attempt at what Stromberg called a "thin wall casting". The area surrounding the fuel inlet is thin, and breaks easily. Stromberg discovered this quickly, and newer (maybe 1935?) castings were reinforced around the fuel inlet. Stromberg issued service bulletins to both the car manufacturers, and Stromberg distributors. The bulletins stated that whenever installing or removing a fuel line from the carburetor, two wrenches were to be used: one to hold the fuel inlet, the other to rotate the fuel line fitting. These were thence dispensed to dealers, and since these were on soft paper, the mechanics (AND MANY ENTHUSIASTS) used these to substitute for the Sears catalog slick pages, neglecting to read them first!

40 years later, Rochester had a similar issue with a fuel inlet, but because the fitting used exceptionally fine threads, and the torque applied would strip the zinc alloy threads. Rochester tried humor with their bulletin:

Rochester bulletin

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have sold many Stromberg carbs due to people snapping the fuel bowl off from being too heavy handed. EE-2 carbs are made of gold, or platinum.........a one year only carb as far as I know. Pierce V-12 and Auburn V-12.......what was the other application?

19 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I have sold many Stromberg carbs due to people snapping the fuel bowl off from being too heavy handed. EE-2 carbs are made of gold, or platinum.........a one year only carb as far as I know. Pierce V-12 and Auburn V-12.......what was the other application?

32-34 Franklin V-12 used an EE2.

Paul

1 hour ago, PFitz said:

32-34 Franklin V-12 used an EE2.

Paul

By 1933 the EX-32 was the replacement for the EE-2, I wonder why they didn’t use the EX-32, it’s a much better carb.

I guess I should not have posted that there were three applications of the EE-2, I wasn't trying to start an argument.

The three EE-2 applications were Franklin 12, 1932 Nash 8, and 1932 Oldsmobile 8.

The Pierce 12 used a pair of E-2 single barrel carbs.

The Auburn 12 used a pair of EX-2 single barrel carbs.

As mentioned above, the Oldsmobile 6 in 1932 used a single EC-2.

The E-2, EC-2, and EX-2 (all single barrel) were in the same family.

The double first letter (to Stromberg) always meant 2 barrel (EE-2, EE-22, or earlier OO-2 UU-2, UU-3, UUR-2).

The following article is a bit newer, but still has applicable information:  Stromberg model coding

Jon

• Like 2

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

By 1933 the EX-32 was the replacement for the EE-2, I wonder why they didn’t use the EX-32, it’s a much better carb.

One possible reason was, post 1929, rapid sales decline causing yearly cut backs in all production.

By the time the V-12  came out, the H.H. Franklin Company was deeply in debt after a big pre-depression expansion.  The banks took over control of the company and forced a lot of changes of the original design of the V-12 (Series 17) model. They may not have had enough sales demand to use up their supply of EE-2 carbs. All production stopped and the factory closed in 1934. Only about a couple dozen V-12 Franklins exist today. 

Paul 

5 hours ago, carbking said:

I guess I should not have posted that there were three applications of the EE-2, I wasn't trying to start an argument.

The three EE-2 applications were Franklin 12, 1932 Nash 8, and 1932 Oldsmobile 8.

The Pierce 12 used a pair of E-2 single barrel carbs.

The Auburn 12 used a pair of EX-2 single barrel carbs.

As mentioned above, the Oldsmobile 6 in 1932 used a single EC-2.

The E-2, EC-2, and EX-2 (all single barrel) were in the same family.

The double first letter (to Stromberg) always meant 2 barrel (EE-2, EE-22, or earlier OO-2 UU-2, UU-3, UUR-2).

The following article is a bit newer, but still has applicable information:  Stromberg model coding

Jon

Jon, all good. My poor memory was why I was asking the question. Since I don't often go into the other manufacturers world of parts.......I was working without complete knowlage of the other cars. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2020 at 4:53 PM, carbking said:

The Stromberg EE-2, and the revised EE-22 cause lots of folks confusion.

Stromberg only made 3 different model EE-2 carburetors.

Stromberg made 58 different models of EE-22 carburetors.

Two major identity issues, plus a service issue:

(1) Most O.E. literature refers to the carburetors my model ONLY, not by identification number. 

(2) For some reason which I have NEVER been able to find the cause; Stromberg EE-22's made in 1933 have EE-2 cast on the bowl! The 1934 and newer castings have EE-22 cast on the end of the bowl; AS DOES THE BOWL USED ON AN EE-23.

It is quite easy to determine if the carbs marked EE-2 are really EE-2's or if they are EE-22's. The fuel valve on the EE-2 is on the side of the bowl (like the EE-1, and the mis-named Stromberg "97" which is actually a Ford version of the EE-1). Thus, the float in an EE-2 will have the hinge on one end. All of the EE-22's, whether they have a cast EE-2 or EE-22, have the fuel inlet on the end of the bowl; and the float hinge is in the center of the float.

Without pulling a lot of prints, I know there are at least 5 different internal venturii sizes of the EE-22 bowls; plus there are a number of different linkages, some of the air horns are right angle rather than straight, and of course Chrysler has the "backwards" (at least backwards to all of the others) choke. And the above is why there are 58 different models.

As a general rule, one should NOT attempt to change a bowl from one model to another.

(3) The bowl is the MAJOR issue with the carburetor; as this design was Stromberg's first attempt at what Stromberg called a "thin wall casting". The area surrounding the fuel inlet is thin, and breaks easily. Stromberg discovered this quickly, and newer (maybe 1935?) castings were reinforced around the fuel inlet. Stromberg issued service bulletins to both the car manufacturers, and Stromberg distributors. The bulletins stated that whenever installing or removing a fuel line from the carburetor, two wrenches were to be used: one to hold the fuel inlet, the other to rotate the fuel line fitting. These were thence dispensed to dealers, and since these were on soft paper, the mechanics (AND MANY ENTHUSIASTS) used these to substitute for the Sears catalog slick pages, neglecting to read them first!

40 years later, Rochester had a similar issue with a fuel inlet, but because the fitting used exceptionally fine threads, and the torque applied would strip the zinc alloy threads. Rochester tried humor with their bulletin:

Rochester bulletin

Jon.

Jon,

You refer to pulling prints of the Stomberg ee-22. Do you have the prints or where could one get those prints?

Thanks!

-Derek