franklin wheel s

Put an add advertisement out on the Franklin Page.  

They are out there, but generally speaking most cars have had pre-restoration 2 bent ones in the sidemounts ( from right rear curb damage), so people have done some trading around over the years and pretty easy to get your hands on ones that do not run true verses those that do.  Dayton Wire Wheels can replace spokes and true up if you find good ones that do not run true.

Try Mike West as well - you can find him out on the page. 

Sidenote:  Spend the extra money for really nice wheels and lock rings, but do not hold out if a marginal set comes your way - pick them up and continue your search and then if better show up set them free.   Try to the best lock rings money can buy though (but again make sure you have something in your hand while looking). 

• Like 1

Very sound advice here, especially about the lock rings , heavily rusted ones will need to be ground to be smooth and that will decrease the thickness which if done to severely can cause problems when inflating the new tire and tubes with the pressure of so many lbs of air to do so. The hubs on a 1929 wire wheel are external lug mount ( you see the wheel lugs when the wheels are on the car) and the 1930-1933 are internal lug mount ( that get covered by the hubcap) .

On 7/29/2020 at 10:26 AM, John_Mereness said:

Put an add advertisement out on the Franklin Page.  

They are out there, but generally speaking most cars have had pre-restoration 2 bent ones in the sidemounts ( from right rear curb damage), so people have done some trading around over the years and pretty easy to get your hands on ones that do not run true verses those that do.  Dayton Wire Wheels can replace spokes and true up if you find good ones that do not run true.

Try Mike West as well - you can find him out on the page. 

Sidenote:  Spend the extra money for really nice wheels and lock rings, but do not hold out if a marginal set comes your way - pick them up and continue your search and then if better show up set them free.   Try to the best lock rings money can buy though (but again make sure you have something in your hand while looking). 

Have had to make tooling to hammer out dented edges just to get snap rings to fit into the rims,...and also reshape out -of-round snap rings with my 12 ton press. Reminders of not just curbs, but how bad roads used to be.

Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PFitz said:

Have had to make tooling to hammer out dented edges just to get snap rings to fit into the rims,...and also reshape out -of-round snap rings with my 12 ton press. Reminders of not just curbs, but how bad roads used to be.

Paul

I lucked out with 5 true ones on our Franklin, but every single other car I have done has had 2 to 6 that run so untrue that you cannot use them as is (and of course some will proclaim - Oh, you need to adjust the spokes, but my guess is that ship sailed with even the slightest rust on nipples/spokes when car was a year old much less pushing 90-ish years old).  Anyway, I spend a lot of time making trips over to Dayton Wire Wheel.   The factories probably ran out of replacement right rear fenders after 1st year of production too.