Mid Atlantic Prewar FALL Swap Meet in LURAY, VA

Jim_Lyons

• 2 months later...

First day, my first time at Luray. Hershey in miniature, from the way-back machine. Lots of Model T and Model A but enough other stuff to be interesting. I drove 2.5 hours to get there. If you’re inside that range, check it out on Wednesday or Thursday. Beautiful country, nice folks, great time.

The last 2 pictures reveal my treasures. Some came from a guy who is one row away from me at a Hershey. I had to go to VA to meet him!

A36E702E-7D73-467C-AE43-731DAFB2B9F9.jpeg

210552CB-BF8A-43F8-AC0B-4E4898482799.jpeg

E1F588CC-4750-4F0D-85D4-02FADF86239B.jpeg

E18B6320-85CE-4814-8C4D-356B263D08AC.jpeg

F107194B-7956-4061-9C1F-FB968E891091.jpeg

Luray was a lot of fun for anyone who needed a swap meet "fix."  I heard a lot of comments about how "this is how it was years ago."  Yes-time has stood still for this event - it's a slice of a mid-70's type swap meet where seller and buyers are both serious about doing business.  People came in with trailers loaded with stuff, and some sold everything!  The guy in spaces next to mine sold everything and left Wednesday morning.  He had a mix of T parts, some A stuff, tools, and a few garage related things like a neat nut and bolt tray set-up that looked like a miniature ferris-wheel.  It was ten bucks worth of neat gadget for any work bench and I'm sorry I missed it!  Buyers were looking for bargains and there were plenty to be found. I didn't see anything that was w-a-y overpriced, and most everybody was in a bargaining mood.  I even snagged some unexpected buys later on the 2nd day including a 1915 windshield frame and some NOS speedometer wheel-gears. Still had change for a $20 bill when I was done. Lots of great stuff to see, boxes on the ground to dig through, and tables filled with the kind of stuff you just won't find at any other swap meet of its size.  I don't know what the vendor count was as they came and went but would guess around 60? perhaps more all totaled.  They came from all over - a couple from Florida, New Jersey, Tennessee, Maryland, even from California.  I heard so many times that all this stuff was going to Hershey anyway so why not take it to Luray and enjoy the Virginia countryside.  Beautiful scenery, crisp, clear fall weather, and the friendliest people on earth.  This was my first year as a vendor and it sure was fun. No complaints about the sales.  Like all swap meets there was a mix of vendors looking for bargains, and car people looking for things they needed.  The VFW is a perfect spot for it.  VFW Volunteers kept the coffee pots and grills going all week - and the prices were like everything else - reminds me of the good old days!  Two other AACA past presidents were there - Tom Cox and Chuck Crane, also past Model T Ford club presidents, and even the official T club merchandise vendors all the way from Port Huron, Michigan.   Magazine editor Natalie Weaver and her sister Janice spent time visiting and snapping photos for a future article.   I could go on but let the photos speak for themselves.  We'll be back again in the spring.

Terry

1921 Packard.jpg

Assorted T and A parts.jpg

Assorted wheels.jpg

Autolyte self generating lamp.jpg

Barn Freesh Coupe for sale.jpg

Brass carbide generator.jpg

Brass horns.jpg

Carbs.jpg

Coils.jpg

Brass radiator for sale.jpg

Cute T roadster.jpg

Early T parts at Luray.jpg

Early unrestored T.jpg

Field overview.jpg

Goodies on the table.jpg

Great brass at Luray.jpg

Vendor in the early morning mist.jpg

Unusual brass horns.jpg

Trailer loaded with assorted pre war parts.jpg

Tractor conversion.jpg

Touring in a trailer.jpg

Touring built to race.jpg

Pre war parts for sale.jpg

RV Anderson.jpg

Steering wheels.jpg

T brass generator for sale.jpg

T pickup on a trailer.jpg

Misc early parts still to be unpacked.jpg

More goodies on the table.jpg

More assorted pre war parts for sale.jpg

Pair Gray and Davis lamps.jpg

Pair E&J lamps.jpg

Terry Janice and Natalie.jpg

Looks like a great meet with high quality,  "real" old cars and parts being offered for sale. It does indeed remind me of how swap meets were when I got into this hobby decades ago. I look forward to attending this meet next spring. Thanks for sharing these photos. Glad to see people out and having fun. I think these small, specialized swap meets that cater to a specific era or genre of cars are likely to become more popular in future years. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)