Memory lane coincidence

Pilgrim65

Often take trips out now after 3 months in lockdown and driving past a fruit farm saw rows of classic car in one of the fields , so turned round and investigated , apparently a gathering of some of the local classic car clubs . Morris minor club, mgb club , vintage club , fire engine club and American and miscellaneous.

as my favourite is American I headed towards them , apologies only photographed my favourite 1950 Pontiac convertible , immaculate car 

but walking past the miscellaneous group to my amazement sat side by side were the car my father taught me to drive in when I was 14 ( Vauxhall’ velox)and the first decent car I owned in the same colour combo , blue / cream( singer gazelle) that’s a spooky coincidence, I  enjoyed seeing them but made me feel older seeing  cars  from my younger days that are now termed classic .

pretty windy cool day so only photographed a few that took my interest , One is obvious, and couple more would sit well in amazing period image thread on this forum . Will only let me download one photo per topic , trying to sort , so more to follow 

62A678E7-B37C-490D-B26C-E08F8247D9CD.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You are calling a Singer Gazelle a decent car ?  I hope it was a very low mileage , pampered example. My first decent car was a Series 1 Alpine. nice low mile car that someone skimped on 

oil change  frequency. Bad rod knock.  $50.00 cash and limp home. Even had factory wire wheels. Another $50.00 brought home a scruffy but good running Rapier, I was a real big spender at 16.

The Rapier gave up its engine so the Alpine could live, drove it for several months before a schoolmate wanted it at a profitable price. Proceeds went towards my first { of several } MGB.  I even

made a little on the Rapier less engine. A much older guy ; almost 20 , wanted to put a V8 in to it. I never saw it again so I don't think he ever got it running.

Just kidding about the Gazelle. A friends mother had a mint one about the time of my plunge into the world of Rootes. About 10,000 orig. miles and gleaming. Actually not a bad little car.

Greg in Canada

12 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

You are calling a Singer Gazelle a decent car ?  I hope it was a very low mileage , pampered example. My first decent car was a Series 1 Alpine. nice low mile car that someone skimped on 

oil change  frequency. Bad rod knock.  $50.00 cash and limp home. Even had factory wire wheels. Another $50.00 brought home a scruffy but good running Rapier, I was a real big spender at 16.

The Rapier gave up its engine so the Alpine could live, drove it for several months before a schoolmate wanted it at a profitable price. Proceeds went towards my first { of several } MGB.  I even

made a little on the Rapier less engine. A much older guy ; almost 20 , wanted to put a V8 in to it. I never saw it again so I don't think he ever got it running.

Just kidding about the Gazelle. A friends mother had a mint one about the time of my plunge into the world of Rootes. About 10,000 orig. miles and gleaming. Actually not a bad little car.

Greg in Canada

Are you calling a singer gazelle a decent car 

I think question answer is depends what you have owned prior to ownership, in my case old rust heaps so without question was my first decent car. The reference to my friends mother had one are you saying it an old woman’s car ?😁

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

As a High School kid in 1974 it was anything but cool. My father bought it for $10.00 so I could learn about cars. Once I had the engine transplant on the Alpine done the Met was hussled off to a new owner. Got $50.00 for it. As a percentage of purchase price one of the most profitable deals I ever made. About the only thing to a Metropolitan's credit that I can think of

is that early Lotus 7's used a rear axle from one.

Greg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 6:48 PM, 1912Staver said:

You are calling a Singer Gazelle a decent car?  Just kidding about the Gazelle. A friends mother had a mint one about the time of my plunge into the world of Rootes. About 10,000 orig. miles and gleaming. Actually not a bad little car.

This convertible must be close to you:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/59418-orphan-of-the-day-01-08-1960-singer-gazelle

I saw it at the annual Swap Meet in Cloverdale around 1996 or so.

Craig

In the early 1990's, there was a very nice, original dark brown Singer station wagon running around here.  It would have been a low-mileage example that I would bet was an inheritance from an unappreciative heir, as she drove in the winter salt.  Within 3 years, that poor car was a rusted out wreck.

Craig

There were a number of Gazelles running around south Florida in the 60s. More common than MG1100s (had one of those) or Austin Americas. Think there was one on "Resoration Garage" so may have been more common in Canada.