1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe - $8500 - Stockton, CA - Not Mine

1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe  - $8500 - Stockton, CA

https://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/d/stockton-packard-clipper-1953/7149644246.html

Packard Clipper 1953. 4 door in Good condition. -one family owned. Original under the hood. Was completely redone in 1980. Runs good. Still Driven on occasion.

Contact: Doug  (clicking on 'show phone number' returns an error message for me, try it yourself if interested).

Copy and paste in your email: daafd90ecb803b35af9a49dd7976b181@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe.  

Note: Although the interior has been reupholstered, it is not in the factory style or materials.  It appears serviceable, window frames and dash were painted medium gray metallic from the factory, not black. How do I know?  I have this same year and model Packard.  There should also be fender skirts, which were standard for the Clipper Deluxe. 

Prospect owners should educate themselves on how Ultramatic functions.   it has a Low and High range plus a lock-out torque convertor.  Either range may be selected to drive in, the transmission will stay in that range with only the torque convertor locking out at approximately 20 mph dependent upon throttle position.  The Low range is not intended for highway driving,.  High range is generally the range for all driving situation, starts off leisurely, has a pronounce feel and sound from the engine when the torque convertor lockouts out, then in direct drive.   It unlocks around 10 mph.  An action the driver should NEVER do is try to shift between ranges when the car is in motion.  The gear sets are NOT coordinated, such action will damage Ultramatic.   Late in the 1954 model year Packard introduced Gear-Start Ultramatic which automatically starts in Low range, shifts to High, then the torque convertor lockout takes place as before. This was done to get more spritely performance to compete with the hot new V8's.

'53 Packard Clipper Deluxe CA a.jpg

'53 Packard Clipper Deluxe CA b.jpg

'53 Packard Clipper Deluxe CA c.jpg

'53 Packard Clipper Deluxe CA d.jpg

'53 Packard Clipper Deluxe CA e.jpg

'53 Packard Clipper Deluxe CA f.jpg

'53 Packard Clipper Deluxe CA g.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Prospect owners should educate themselves on how Ultramatic functions.   it has a Low and High range... An action the driver should NEVER do is try to shift between ranges when the car is in motion.  The gear sets are NOT coordinated, such action will damage Ultramatic.   

Thank you for the explanation, Mr. 58L.

I learned something that today's typical driver never

would have thought of.

The AACA forum certainly can be educational!

• Like 1

You are welcome.  Ross Miller of the Speedwell Garage in Parkton, MD is the go-to guru on all thing Packard, especially postwar.  He rebuilds Ultramatics, explained the correct operation and no-no's in discussions on the PackardInfo.com forums.  We try to pass along this important information.

Its in the right price range, from what I can discern from the photos. A good deal has been spent on chrome plating which is an expensive item and the straight metal and paintwork look very good.  Nothing like an in-person inspection to see all those areas where rust might have occurred and can be hiding.   One would have to experience the car in person and drive it to determine if its functional condition matches it appearance.  If you should do an in-person inspection, please tell us your impressions good and less so.

• Like 1

Stockton isn't a long drive for me, but I would only be looking at the car out of curiosity since I'm not in the market for a second collector car.  I was just wondering what you thought because this seems like a good deal for a nice driver.

15 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

You are welcome.  Ross Miller of the Speedwell Garage in Parkton, MD is the go-to guru on all thing Packard, especially postwar.  He rebuilds Ultramatics, explained the correct operation and no-no's in discussions on the PackardInfo.com forums.  We try to pass along this important information.

I bought a '51 Packard with no low range operation for $25. Drove it daily for 3 years and gave it to my Dad.

Worked fine in drive , wouldn't move in low. The previous owner must have tried changing the driving gear as described.

I never bothered trying to fix it, I bought a '47 Hudson Commodore coupe for $40 to replace it.

I later bought my wife a 53 Packard Clipper for $125 , very low mileage , with new " Double Eagle" tires on it.

Her driver for several years.

These were used cars in the late 60's and early 70's , cheap gas and plenty of replacement parts in " junk" yards.

The good old days?

That's a nice looking Packard and they ride as nice as a Hudson stepdown , but they don't handle as well.